Bath & North East Somerset Council’s Animal Health and Welfare team offers free, reliable and impartial advice on rules, regulations and best practice of keeping farm animals.

We ensure that livestock movements are recorded, to help prevent the spread of disease among farm animals. We also ensure that animals are humanely treated during transport and sale and that their food is safe and appropriately labelled.

We also offer free publications, codes of welfare, record books, and movement documents.

Avian Influenza (Bird Flu) - How to Spot It in Birds and Report It

Housing measures to protect poultry and captive birds from avian influenza are being extended and will be in force across England from 00:01 on Monday 7 November 2022.

This means that, from this time, it will be a mandatory requirement for all bird keepers across England to keep their birds housed and to follow strict biosecurity measures, in order to limit the spread and to eradicate the disease.

More information is available on GOV.​UK at:

Definitive requirements are set out in the published declarations for each disease control zone currently in force. More information is available on GOV.​UK:

You can also check if specific areas are in a zone by using the following interactive map:

The Chief Veterinary Officer has declared a Prevention Zone to help protect poultry from a strain of Avian Flu in Europe

Find advice about fireworks - things to consider when planning a display, or if you are concerned for your pets

How to contact Animal Health and Welfare

Please send your completed Sheep and Goat Movement Licences to:

Bath & North East Somerset Council 
Animal Health and Welfare
Public Protection
Lewis House
Manvers Street

Tel: 01225 396753
Fax: 01225 396142

Follow this link for Holding and Herd Number Registration information.

Cattle movement

GOV.UK – Report a movement on the self-service telephone line

CTSonline – for online reporting

Sheep and goats movement

GOV.UK – Sheep and goats movement general licence

Livestock information service – Paper movement licences

Other Council services

Other useful contacts

More information about animal health and welfare can also be found on the Trading Standards Institute website.

Your rating: 

Your rating: None Average: 2.3 (10 votes)
To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.