How to submit a planning application, including works to trees

Apply online using the Planning Portal.  This is the most effective way of submitting planning applications and tree notifications and will save you the cost of printing and postage.

Unfortunately we do not accept applications submitted on CD, memory stick or via document sharing sites, such as Dropbox.

Applications can be emailed to Please note we will not accept emailed applications and notifications where an online Planning Portal form exists.  We will also not accept applications and notifications sent to individual officer email addresses.

Hard-copy applications should be posted to Planning Services, Lewis House, Manvers Street, Bath BA1 1JG.

What do I need to submit? 

Information on what to submit can be found on the Standard requirements for all applications web page. Please also consult the Validation Checklists - these can be found on the Forms and Checklists web page for each application type. 

We encourage developers/applicants to seek pre-application advice to identify any potential issues prior to formal submission.

Prior to making a major planning application (>10 dwellings / 1,000m2 floor space) you are encouraged to use the ‘Development Team’ pre-application approach (Please contact Development Management on 01225 394041), who will provide advance guidance on the range of supporting documents required to accompany your planning application.

Tips to ensure the smooth processing of your application

  • Submit through the Planning Portal for all online applications, including notifications of works to trees
  • Where you cannot submit through the Planning Portal because there is no online form, e.g. pre-app and some prior approvals, email your documents to
  • Revised plans and drawings should be emailed to
  • Do not submit applications or revised plans or drawings to individual officer email addresses
  • Attach all drawings as PDF (Portable Document Format) files 
  • Photographs can be JPEG file format
  • No individual file should be larger than 10Mb
  • Please send unsigned versions of reports and covering letters and in particular remove signatures from individual report pages
  • File names should reflect the content with a clear description of the plan or document
  • Ensure that all drawings include the print (paper) size; the relevant scale at that print size (e.g. 1:100 etc) - Please read our Best Practice Guide for further information on drawing standards.
  • Preferable drawing sizes are A3 or A4
  • Drawings should be correctly oriented on page
  • Adhere to the Validation Checklists
  • For all major applications please submit 2 sets of paper documentation to Planning Services, Lewis House, Manvers Street, Bath BA1 1JG. Extra paper copies may be requested to support the consultation process for some applications
  • We recommend applicants consider using a Planning Agent to assist with their application.  View a published list of B&NES accredited agents.

Additional Information:

  • Information provided on the application form and accompanying drawings and documents will be made available on the internet, see B&NES Planning Privacy Notice
  • Applications submitted electronically, will be treated as having been delivered at 9.00am on the next working day
  • Useful information regarding the application process can be found on the Planning Portal. Please also have a look at our own frequently asked questions webpage
  • For you information Parish and Town Councils have an important role.  Parish and Town Councils provide a local perspective and make comments on applications within a local context and with the benefit of a considerable amount of local knowledge and input from their Parishioners. They are notified of every application that is submitted within their area.  The views of Parish and Town Councils are reported, considered and responded to in each application report.  Parish and Town Councils can also attend Planning Committee meetings to speak on applications within their area.   Once, a decision has been made by Bath & North East Somerset Council, a copy of the decision notice is made available to the Parish or Town Council.  View a list of all Parish/Town Councils and their contact details.
  • New building work will often need to comply with the Building Regulations. These prescribe minimum standards for health and safety. The Central Government website also provides advice on Building Regulations. If you would like further advice, please contact Building Control.

Your rating: 

Your rating: None Average: 2.4 (21 votes)
To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.