The discretionary revaluation relief provides support to businesses that face the steepest increase in their Business Rates as a result of the 2017 revaluation. The relief is cash limited based on funding from central government and is subject to state aid limits.
The relief is effective from 1 April 2017 and will be provided over four years. The amount of relief provided will gradually reduce over this four year period.
You may be eligible if:
- Your business address is included in the list of Revaluation Relief Property Addresses (CSV 36 KB)
- Your Business Rates have significantly increased as a result of the 2017 revaluation by 12.5% or more
- Your rateable value is less than £200,000.00
- Businesses which are not Small or Medium Enterprises will not be eligible for this relief.
Small or Medium Enterprises are defined as follows:
- They are an Enterprise: self-employed, family firm, partnership, association or company regularly engaged in an economic activity (i.e. the sale of products or services at a given price on a direct market)
- AND they have under 250 employees
- AND they have an annual turnover not exceeding £43 million and/or an annual balance sheet total not exceeding £37 million
- They are independent, or, if they are a subsidiary or part of a group, the above thresholds must be applied to the wider group
- They may not be a public body or controlled or owned by one. Public bodies include;
- Government departments, legislative bodies and the armed forces
- Local government, including Parish and Town Councils, Local Authority owned companies
- National Health Service, including NHS & Foundation Trusts and practitioners who provide services under contract to the NHS
- Maintained schools, academy schools and further and higher education institutions
- Police and Fire
- Hereditaments which are empty are excluded from the scheme for the period that they are empty
- Ratepayers who become liable after 1 April 2017 are excluded from this relief
- Ratepayers who would qualify for an award of this relief of £25.00 or less will not be eligible for this relief
- Ratepayers who despite such an increase in rateable value have not seen an increase in their net bill for 2017/18 will not be eligible for this relief
Apply for Revaluation Relief
- Download and complete the Revaluation Relief Application Form.doc (245 KB) and email it back to us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or
- Print and complete the Revaluation Relief Application Form.pdf (41 KB) and post it to Bath & North East Somerset Council, Business Rates, Lewis House, Manvers Street, Bath, BA1 1JG
After you have applied for Revaluation Relief
We will assess your entitlement and send you an amended bill for 2017/18 if you qualify. Please note that we will only apply the relief to your Business Rates liability until 31 March 2018. Businesses that are eligible for this relief will need to re-apply annually.
You must tell us about any changes which may affect your entitlement to rate relief or an exemption. If you do not report a change, you may pay an incorrect amount for Business Rates and may even be investigated for fraud. If you would like more information on what changes to report please contact us.