The way Development Team is charged will change from Tuesday 3 April as follows:
The new charging schedule is based on site area with a supplement for 4 or more floors:
• Developments will be charged at £4000 per hectare or part hectare with a minimum fee of £6000
• Developments of 4 or more storeys will pay a supplement of £3000
• There will be an overall maximum fee of £15,000
• All charges will pay VAT in addition
• A follow up meeting is included in the price
Submissions received on or after the 3 April will be subject to the new fees
Development Team Pre-Application Advice
Through the adoption of the Planning Toolkit with the West of England authorities (Bristol, South Gloucestershire & North Somerset), we have set up Development Team specifically designed to support major and / or complex schemes. This is an extension to our pre-application advice service which additionally provides expert and bespoke advice to ensure you are in a strong position to address all the planning considerations before your submission.
Why should I use Development Team for pre-application advice?
* To provide you with co-ordinated advice from planning, technical and environmental specialists within the council to ensure that your proposals are in line with policy
* To provide you with an understanding of the planning considerations, risks and issues around your proposal and how you may overcome them
* To provide you with information on any financial contributions or community benefits, that may be applicable
* To identify where further information may be required, such as Environmental Statements, Transportation Assessments, Ecological Surveys etc
* To provide a mechanism for setting up a Planning Performance Agreement or further pre application advice
* To provide you with information on how to complete the final submission and the documentation required
* To speed up the process of determining any subsequent applications
Who can apply?
Development Team is designed to support major schemes of 10 dwellings or more or creating over 1000 square meters of floor space or smaller schemes which raise complex planning issues.
What should I consider before I request Development Team advice?
The more information you can give us, the more specific our advice can be. The following draft documents enable us to give you advice:
* A clearly marked location plan at 1:1250 or 1:2500 scale based on an extract from the Ordnance Survey.
* An existing site plan illustrating the siting of any existing buildings and trees (including canopy spreads) both on the site and on adjoining land.
* Supporting plans (to scale), sketches and / or drawings which clearly indicate the nature and scale of the development envisaged. The more information that can be provided at this stage, the more complete the response will be.
* Supporting documentation which fully explains the nature and context of the development, such as:-
i) Overall supporting statements / reports;
ii) Design and access statement;
iii) Justification for the parking ratio being applied (such as location of supporting services and bus stops);
iv) Tree report.
Please make submissions self-explanatory as they will be initially considered by officers alone. We will let you know if additional information or clarification will be helpful. If it appears that your development team submission is more appropriate to be considered as a pre-application submission we will advise you accordingly.
How do I apply?
* Contact us on 01225 394041 (option 5) for advice on whether your scheme is appropriate for Development Team or to request review.
* We will agree a provisional timetable including a meeting date and advise you of the fee.
* Where appropriate officers will arrange a pre meeting which will be free of charge to explain the process and to give an early steer on the likely main issues.
* Please send three hard copies of plans and supporting information and eight sets of documents in PDF format on CD disc by post to B&NES Council, Development Management Team, Lewis House, Manvers St, Bath, BA1 1JG. You may be asked to break large electronic documents into more manageable sections and our email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Send your documents no later than 21 days prior to the meeting
* Advise us of your payment method and make full payment
What happens after I submit my request?
* We will decide which officers and other experts or councillors need to be involved in Development Team to review your proposal
* We will circulate all your documentation to all the members of the team
* Following the Development Team meeting we will send a formal response
* You can then have meetings directly with key members of the Development Team to discuss your proposals
* If your scheme requires significant changes then it may be necessary to resubmit
Our commitments to you
* We will ensure that you receive a corporate, consistent and comprehensive response
* We will respond within 35 days of receipt of the full package of supporting documentation. If this is not possible, a clear timetable will be provided
* We aim to provide a written response within 14 days of the Development Team meeting
* We will consider the following:-
i) Whether the proposed development is likely to be acceptable in policy terms;
ii) Whether there would be an impact on the amenity of adjoining occupiers;
iii) The impact on any Listed Building and Conservation Area;
iv) The design of the proposal and any sustainability issues arising;
v) The servicing, access and parking arrangements;
vi) The appropriate Planning Obligations (Unilateral Undertaking, S106 Agreement or Community Infrastructure Levy).
* If appropriate, offer a timetable of negotiation in order to further develop your scheme
Please ring us on 01225 394041 (option 5) to confirm your method of payment first.
Initial charge -
The initial charge is made up of an administration fee and a case fee, either pre-application or strategic master plan, as follows:
* Administration Fee: £350.00 +VAT
* Case Fee (pre-application): £500.00 or 40% of prospective statutory application fee (whichever is the greater) +VAT
* Case Fee (strategic master plan): £2300.00 +VAT
Follow up charges -
Follow-ups with Development Team (regarding the same scheme): £400.00 or 80% of original Development Team charge paid (whichever is the greater) +VAT.
Follow-up meetings with case officers regarding the same scheme will be transferred to the standard Pre-Application Advice charge.
Notes on charges -
Multiple proposals for alternative schemes on the same site will each be subject to the charges above. Significantly amended schemes will be treated as a new case and charged again.
Please note - Any planning applications approved after April 6th 2015 may be subject to a Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) tariff. View CIL information and guidance.
Last updated: 16 March 2018
Last updated: 16 March 2018