Find out more about the pre-application advice service offered by the council.
Submit a planning application online or by post
Applying for planning permission online is now the method of choice with around 75% of applications submitted via the Planning Portal (external link) a national planning website. The Planning Portal is easy to use with an online help function, immediate delivery and acknowledgement and savings on printing and postage costs. Secure fee payments can also be made online.
Alternatively, you can submit an application in the post by selecting the relevant downloadable forms from a list of application types. These forms are available as PDF documents to print off and to complete in writing before sending by post to Planning Services, PO Box 5006, Bath BA1 1JG.
Please refer to the Standard requirements for all applications web page before submission.
We encourage developers/applicants to seek pre-application advice with officers to identify any potential issues prior to formal submission. Further information on the provision of pre-application advice can be found here.
Prior to making a major planning application (>10 dwellings / 1,000m2 floor space) you are encouraged to use the ‘Development Team’ pre-application approach (Please contact Development Management on 01225 394041), who will provide advance guidance on the range of supporting documents required to accompany your planning application.
Tips to ensure the smooth processing of your online application
- Attach all drawings as PDF (Portable Document Format) files
- Photographs can be JPEG file format
- No individual file should be larger than 5Mb
- File names should reflect the content
- Ensure that all drawings include the print (paper) size; the relevant scale at that print size (e.g. 1:100 etc)
- Preferable drawing sizes are A3 or A4
- Drawings should be correctly oriented on page
- Consult the Validation Checklists. These can be found on the Downloadable Forms and Checklists web page. It is important to note that the Validation Checklists list the documents required to accompany planning applications before they are validated. If you do not send all the required information we need, your application will be deemed invalid.
- For major applications submitted online, complete the form online and post/deliver a minimum of 2 sets of all the application documentation to Planning Services. Extra copies may be requested for certain applications. In addition, copies of the application documentation should be supplied on CD disc to enable electronic processing. No individual file should be larger than 5Mb.
PLEASE NOTE: Information provided on the application form and accompanying drawings and documents will be made available on the internet.
Information on the application process
Please note if the application has been submitted electronically, it will be treated as having been delivered at 9.00am on the next working day after it was transmitted.
New building work will often need to comply with the Building Regulations. These prescribe minimum standards for health and safety. The Planning Portal website also provides advice on Building Regulations. If you would like further advice, please contact Building Control.
Whilst we endeavour to ensure the accuracy of the information in our web pages, an occasional error may occur. Should this be the case, please use the feedback form below.
Please use this form to report issues with the content of this page. If you wish to contact somebody about the service provided, please use the contact details found in the 'Contact Us' section of this page.