Choosing a secondary school for your child
If you live in Bath & North East Somerset, you will receive a letter from the Admissions and Transport team when your child starts in Year 6. The letter will tell you about schools in the area and explain how to apply for a secondary school place for your child for the following September. There are only a few weeks to visit schools, make your decision and apply, as the completed forms must be sent to the Admissions and Transport team before the closing date of October 31st.
For most parents and carers the process is quite straightforward. However, some parents and carers may need some additional support, information and advice about choosing the right secondary school for their child. If this is the case, contact the Admissions and Transport Team for more information on 01225 395204.
We can help by:
- Providing information about the schools in your area
- Giving guidance on how to complete the necessary forms
- Explaining what will happen when you have made your decision
- Explaining further what options you have if you are not offered a place at your preferred school
Please note that the Admissions and Transport Team will provide information to parents/carers but will not decide for them, and cannot guarantee a place at a particular school.
- At the beginning of Year 6 you will be sent a letter about the secondary transfer process and about how to apply for a secondary school place.
- By October 31st applications forms must be returned to the Admissions and Transport team if you live in Bath and North East Somerset. You can also apply online by October 31st
- On March 1st an offer of a school place is made to parents/carers who have applied by the closing date.
- By March 15th, parents/carers must accept or reject the offer made by the Local Authority.
You must apply for a secondary school place to the Local Authority in which you live, even if the school of your choice is not within that authority.