The enforcement of health and safety law in workplaces is split between the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and delegated Officers of Bath & North East Somerset Council.
Officers have the same powers as HSE inspectors under the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974, but each organisation is responsible for different types of premises. These are broadly split as follows:
Local Authority responsibilities
- Warehouses/builders merchants
- Tyre and exhaust fitting establishments.
- Retail premises
- Catering establishments, including cafes, restaurants, pubs etc
- Consumer services such as hairdressers, beauty salons
- Hotels, guest houses, camp sites and caravan sites.
- Health clubs and leisure activities; theatres, cinemas, night clubs etc.
- Child care facilities such as nurseries and playgroups (except those run by the Local Authority or School.)
- Churches and religious meeting halls
- Mines and quarries.
- Radio or Television broadcasting.
- Most construction work.
- Agricultural activities.
- Maintenance, repair and installation of electricity and gas systems.
- Local Authority activities
This is not an exhaustive list and there are some exceptions. If in doubt, contact the Public Protection Team on 01225 477508 for advice
Health and Safety Executive
Health and Safety Executive,
2 River gate
Telephone Complaints and Advisory Team on 0300 0031647 or use online form http://www.hse.gov.uk/contact/workplace-complaints.htm
Fax: 01179 262998
Or visit the Health and Safety Executive website for further information
Bath & North East Somerset Council
Public Protection Team
1st Floor Lewis House
Telephone: 01225 477508