Litter picks are easy to organise. Bath and North East Somerset Council are working with #NoPlaceForLitter to provide you with everything you need to organise your own community litter pick.
What can be provided
- Litter pickers (for helping you pick up litter)
- Hi-vis vests
- Bags for the litter
- An information pack for volunteers (including advice on running an event, a *risk assessment, a register of volunteers and an agreement form)
* Covid-19 - we have a produced some covid related guidance for volunteers:
Click here to download the Covid-19 Group Volunteering protocol for social distancing
Click here to download the Covid-19 risk assesment to go alongside the covid-19 volunteering protocol.
Choose your nearest #NoPlaceForLitter hub to collect your equipment prior to your event:
It is important that you contact Erica or Andrew at least 2-3 weeks in advance of your event so they can make sure the equipment is available for you as well as a time for you to collect.
#NoPlaceForLitter are volunteers working alongside Bath and North East Somerset Council in order to maximise the help and support available to volunteer litter pickers across the area. #NoPlaceForLitter volunteers are experienced litter pickers and will be happy to help with any questions or advice you may have in organising your own event.
How to get your litter bags collected after your event
To book your litter pick up after your event contact firstname.lastname@example.org or by phoning Council Connect on 01225 39 40 41.
What to look out for when planning a litter pick
Once you've chosen a location, check the area in advance. Look out for the following:
- Natural hazards (eg steep slopes, rivers, presence of animals etc.)
- Hazardous items (eg sharp objects, needles, batteries, miscellaneous chemicals, asbestos, heavy items etc.)
- Roads - only pick litter in areas with a 30mph limit or less, where there is a pavement or footway. Stay on the pavement at all times. Never litter pick on the road or verges.
On the day
- Bring a first aid kit and anti-bacterial wipes
- Record each volunteer on the register and check them in and out
- Brief the volunteers about potential hazards and what not to touch
- Make sure that children stay with a responsible adult
- Leave the bags in the designated area for collection
- Take photos and send them to us if you wish to publicise your event
Keep Britain Tidy
Every year Keep Britain Tidy runs their Great British Spring Clean. This is a great time to arrange a litter pick. For more information please go to Great British Spring Clean.