You will need permission from the Council (Highway Authority) under Section 50 of the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991 prior to carrying out an excavation in the highway. It is the responsibility of the householder or client in conjunction with the builder/contractor to obtain a licence for any excavation of the highway. This includes the carriageway, footway and verge.

In most cases the builder/contractor would complete the application pack due to details required i.e. New Roads and Streets Works Accreditation (NRSWA) and £5 million public liability insurance.


Builder/Contractor - You will need:

  • Highway Permission from the Council by completing the application pack (right)
  • Public Liability insurance cover of minimum £5,000,000
  • Street Works Accreditation under the New Roads and Streetworks Act 1991


  1. The applicant requests authorisation by completing the application form which you can download from this page or request via post, email or phone 01225 3943383
  2. Return the completed application with the relevant fees to the address given on the form. More details can be found in the guidance notes on the form.
  3. The application form must be returned with a 1:2500 plan (or greater) showing the location of the works and the required position of signal heads.
  4. Upon receipt the Highway Maintenance team will decide if your application is suitable
  5. The application must be received a minimum of 7 days before the works are undertaken. On traffic sensitive roads 28 days notice may be required
  6. The builder/contractor must immediately notify the Council of any changes to their proposals and any change of information supplied on the application form.
  7. An officer may need to arrange a site meeting to discuss the proposed location of work, type of work and dates.

Your rating: 

Your rating: None Average: 3.2 (5 votes)
To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.