Picture of Gas Flame

If you are using gas appliances within your food business, you will need to provide evidence that shows they are safe to use – this can be satisfied by showing an inspecting officer a valid Gas Safety Certificate. If you do not have one, you will need to arrange for a competent engineer to carry out gas safety checks on your appliances.

You must annually employ a qualified, Gas Safe-registered engineer to carry out works and certify that the business’ systems are safe to use. Usage of an unsafe gas appliance and/or system in a food business is considered a prosecutable offence. Having gas system works carried out by a non-Gas Safe registered engineer is also an offence.

For more information, please view the Health and Safety Executive’s guidance.

The Gas Safe Register website has a list of qualified engineers, which includes those operating in the local area. Ensure that the engineer you employ is permitted to carry out works on commercial appliances. See the list here

Your rating: 

No votes yet
To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.