We give advice to tenants, landlords and home owners and carry out inspections to ensure safe housing conditions. If you are a tenant and concerned about the condition of your home please call our Housing Standards Team on 01225 396444.
Here is some useful information and links about housing conditions and what to do if your home is in disrepair:
- Responsibility for repairs (NHAS)
- Taking action on repairs (NHAS)
- Example of a repairs letter for your landlord (B&NES) (Word 40KB)
- Property conditions and defects checklist (B&NES) (PDF 412KB)
- Health and safety at home (NHAS)
- Reducing the risk: The Housing Health and Safety Rating System (Gov)
- Damp and cold homes (B&NES)
- Gas safety (NHAS)
- Fire safety (B&NES)
- Private tenants: smoke and carbon monoxide alarms (NHAS)
- Dealing with pests in your home (NHAS)
- Radon gas (UK Radon)
- Legionella and legionnaires' disease (HSE)
- New legal requirements 2017 (B&NES)
- Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS) : Guide for landlords (GOV DCLG)
- HHSRS : Information for landlords (Asset & Skills)
- Immigration inspections (B&NES)
- Letting Agents and Property Managers: Redress Scheme How to join an approved scheme to avoid a fine of up to £5,000. To find out if your letting agent or manager is a member of a Redress Scheme you can search the Redress Scheme's membership list available on the link above. You may need to search all three schemes.
A guide for landlords to help you manage and rent your home.
Find out about good practice and standards in the private rented sector.
Find out about the West of England Landlord Expo.
Please use this form to report issues with the content of this page. If you wish to contact somebody about the service provided, please use the contact details found in the 'Contact Us' section of this page.