The role of the foster carer is to actively promote the child’s education as valuable and a part of their preparation for adulthood, and support them to achieve their educational potential.
You need to:
- Make sure you know who the designated teacher is and keep in touch with them. They will be your first contact if there are any problems to sort out
- Agree with the child’s social worker what information the school will be told about the child’s status and how the child will refer to you to their teachers and classmates
- Make sure the child attends school every day – please note that most schools do not allow holidays to be taken in term time
- Tell the school if there is a change to travel arrangements e.g. if somebody else will be collecting them on a particular day
- Be aware of key dates such as term times and exams
- Attend events and meetings at school, including PEPs.
- Encourage the child to achieve well and to have high aspirations for example by attending university taster days
How the Virtual School can support you:
- Advise you on how to work with the school to support the child’s education
- Explain school systems and qualifications, which can be confusing
- Attend meetings regarding complex cases
- Support transitions to new schools if school placements change.
- Provide training for foster carers
- Get involved quickly if there are problems with a school placement
Please use this form to report issues with the content of this page. If you wish to contact somebody about the service provided, please use the contact details found in the 'Contact Us' section of this page.
The information you have provided may be shared across Bath and North East Somerset Council for the purpose of dealing with your enquiry. We will not give information about you to anyone else, or use information about you for other purposes, unless your consent has been given or the law allows this.
The use of your personal information is covered by our registration under the Data Protection Act 1998. You can, under this legislation, request a copy of the information we hold about you. If any information we hold about you is incorrect please let us know.
Bath and North East Somerset Council is committed to upholding the principles of the Data Protection Act, and will not process your information in a way incompatible with these principles.
The Council’s Information Compliance Office can be contacted on (01225) 477000 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org