A building

Q: Is it possible to close a path temporarily?

A: The Council has a power to do this by Traffic Regulation Order, but only for certain reasons. If it is done for a third party the costs are usually re-charged.

Q: What are Traffic Regulation Orders?

A: A Temporary Traffic Regulation Order (TTRO) is made by the Council when it is necessary to prohibit or control vehicular and / or pedestrian traffic along the highway. TTROs can be applied to roads, footways or public rights of way. The Council can make a Temporary Traffic Regulation Order to cover planned situations, or can issue an Emergency Notice if regulation is needed without delay.

Q: On what grounds can a path be temporarily closed?

A: TTROs are normally used to allow essential or emergency works to be carried out on the highway, typically installation of, or maintenance works to, services such as gas, electricity, water etc. However, roads can also be closed under the Town & Police Clauses Act, for street parties, etc.

Q: How much notice is required to temporarily close a path?

A: TTROs are made under the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984, as amended, and applications must be made at least eight weeks prior to the desired closure date to allow sufficient time for the Authority to comply with the various legal requirements involved.  A consultation process is undertaken with the police, emergency and other services. Initial public notification takes the form of an advertisement placed in the local press before the legal division makes the Temporary Regulation Order.  A TTRO can have a maximum duration of 18 months for a road and 6 months for a public right of way.

Q: Can a path be closed in an emergency?

A: Emergency Notices can be issued by the Council in the case of an emergency, e.g. a serious gas main leak. An Emergency Notice can be issued for a maximum duration of 21 days where public safety is a concern, otherwise, 5 days is the maximum duration.

Q:How do I make an application to temporarily close a path?

A: Applications should be made to the Council's Traffic Management Team. They will consider the effects of the proposed Order on the wider highway network; this procedure will take into account many factors.  To make an application, please complete the application form and send it to the address printed at the top.  Alternatively, you can e-mail traffic_managementteam@bathnes.gov.uk to request an application form or contact Council Connect on 01225 394041.

Q: How much will it cost to apply for a temporary closure?

A: The fee is reviewed annually. Please contact the Traffic Management Team for details of current fees. Email traffic_managementteam@bathnes.gov.uk  or telephone Council Connect on 01225 394041.

View current Temporary Traffic Regulation Order Notices


Your rating: 

No votes yet
To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.