- The City of Bath World Heritage Site Setting SPD
- High resolution maps from the document
- Attributes of Outstanding Universal Value (OUV)
Last updated: 5th June 2014
1. The City of Bath World Heritage Site Setting Supplementary Planning Document (SPD)
The Council has produced guidance to aid effective protection and management of Bath’s setting in support of policies in the Local Plan and the Core Strategy once it is adopted. It includes:
- A description and mapping of where the setting is
- Describes the various aspects of the setting that are important and
- Outlines the process for assessing impacts on the World Heritage Site (WHS) affecting the setting
- provides an overview of the international and national context for the protection and management of heritage assets,
- outlines the wider benefits of the setting to the city and surrounding villages and
- outlines some key management considerations.
The World Heritage Site SPD was adopted on 16th August 2013:
- The City of Bath World Heritage Site Setting SPD can be downloaded here. Please note that this file is 15 MB.
- The maps within the SPD are available at a higher resolution below.
- The adoption statement for the SPD and a copy of the accompanying letter can be viewed here.
Relevant background documents include:
- the Cabinet Report recommending adoption
- the Consultation Report
- the Consultation Draft of the Supplementary Planning Document (please note that this file is 10.5 MB) - consulted on over the period 28th May to 6th July 2012
Guidance on assessing impacts on the World Heritage Site is a key part of the SPD for use by developers, agents and development management planners when considering development proposals. This will be expected to be used where a planning application may have a significant impact on the setting.
It is also intended for use by landowners and managers of land when considering proposals for change and when considering management operations. It is also hoped it will be of interest more generally to residents and visitors.
2. High resolution maps from the document
The maps available within the document are available below. Please take a note of each map’s file size before downloading them.
3. Attributes of Outstanding Universal Value (OUV)
A Statement of Outstanding Universal Value summarises why Bath is inscribed as a World Heritage Site. A second document, the Attributes of Outstanding Universal Value, explains this in far greater detail and list aspects or characteristics which convey or express OUV. Both are available via this link.