Voter ID

The UK Government has introduced a requirement for voters to show photo ID when voting at a polling station. This new requirement will apply for the first time at the local elections on Thursday 4 May 2023.

Which forms of ID can I use to vote?

  • Passport
  • Photocard driving licence (including provisional licence)
  • Blue badge
  • Certain concessionary travel cards
  • Identity card with PASS mark (Proof of Age Standards Scheme)
  • Biometric Immigration document
  • Defence identity card
  • Certain national indentity cards

If you don't have an accepted form of photo ID

If you don't already have an accepted form of photo ID, or you're not sure whether your photo ID still looks like you, you can apply for a free voter ID document, known as a Voter Authority Certificate. You can apply for this at from Monday 16 January.

Alternatively, you can complete a paper application form and send this to Electoral Services.

If you need any help with applying for a Voter Authority Certificate or want to request an application form, contact Electoral Services.

Find out more

If you have any questions on which forms of photo ID will be accepted or would like to find out more visit the electoral commission website or call the Electoral Commission helpline on 0800 328 02 80

Your rating: 

No votes yet
To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.