Walk to School Campaign
Walk to School Campaigns have been successfully run in a number of counties. They have been developed to encourage adults and children to discover some of the benefits of walking to school and to experience the resulting reduction in traffic.
We hope that it will increase your interest in walking and in the long-term help the aims of the Safer Routes to School Campaign.
We would like as many adults and children as possible to become involved even if only in a small way.
How You Can Be Involved
- Walking to and from school every day during the week.
- Walking to school more often.
- Parking away from school and walking for at least some of the journey.
How it Benefits You and Your Child
"The children were more alert after walking to school".
"It gave us a chance to really talk to each other about what we saw and what Joe had done at school".
"It gave us a good opportunity to exercise and get some fresh air".
"It cuts out the hassle of trying to find somewhere to park in the mornings as well as making the road outside the school safer for the children to cross".
"It gave the children and I a chance to socialise with other parents and children who were walking to school".
"I have always tried to teach my child to have road sense but walking to school gave me the chance to reinforce this".
"If you don't walk your child to school very often you tend to underestimate how much they need to know about the dangers of the road - it was a real eye-opener for me".
Ideas to Help You and Your Child Enjoy Walking to School
- Talk about safe routes to and from school. Plan your route together.
- Choose the safest place to cross the road.
- Teach your child to cross the road safely and practice.
- Look at and talk about things you see on the road and pavement, e.g. traffic, signs, road markings, etc.
- Look for the hazards and dangers your child may encounter, e.g. driveways, parked cars, etc.
- Observe other people crossing the road.
More information is available from these websites:
Alternatively for more information on Walk to School Campaigns in this area, please contact Council Connect on 01225 394041 or email Transportation@Bathnes.gov.uk