To report a pavement/footway issue to Highway Maintenance please use our online Report it forms

If you feel the issue requires urgent attention please telephone Council Connect immediately on 01225 39 40 41 (choose option 9).


Tarmac Footways Maintenance

Timely intervention by surface treatment is more cost effective than awaiting later major repairs. Generally a thin coat such as slurry sealing or surface dressing will result in better conditions for pedestrians. Some surfaces that may appear poor, through cracking or minor surface deterioration are left for subsequent resurfacing as the damage is only aesthetic. If a footway requires repair please report it to Council Connect for Inspection.

Pothole in the Pavement/Footway

A pothole is a sharp edged depression in the pavement/footway that is greater than 20mm deep. The severity of a pothole is determined by the risk it poses to footway users. This is difficult to judge since all potholes present some risk. Potholes should be reported immediately to Council Connect.

Paving or Slabbed Footways

Paving Slab defects should be reported to Council Connect for inspection.

Rocking Slab:- Pennants or other types of footway slabs may become loose and rock, causing a potential hazard to pedestrians and users of the footway.

Broken Slab:- Footway slabs may also break or crack causing a potential hazard to pedestrians and users of the footway.

Missing Slab:- If a Pennant or footway slab is missing Council Connect should be informed immediately as works will need to take place as quickly as possible to make the area safe.

Raised/Sunken Slab:- If a footway slab is raised or sunken in the footway and is causing a trip hazard Council Connect should be informed. The trip hazard will be inspected to determine the extent of any defect and subsequent works will be ordered if necessary.

Cellar light/Coalhole damage

Under the Highways Act 1980 it is the responsibility and legal requirement for owners to get technical approval from the relevant Highways Authority for any work to be done. This includes cellars, vaults and any associated openings, doors, cellar lights etc. If you experience water problems, the Council has no duty to prevent water from penetrating a cellar from the footpath or road but may check gullies or drainage connections and has power to act if there are safety concerns. If a cellar/coal hole is causing an obstruction to the public please report it to Council Connect for inspection.

Damaged Kerbstones

If kerbs have been damaged you can report them to Council Connect in order that the Council can inspect and order subsequent works if necessary. Kerbs provide a continuous edge to the drainage channel and thereby improve the flow of water to gullies preventing water from escaping onto footways, verges and adjacent land. They also delineate and strengthen the edge of the carriageway, deterring overrunning by vehicles with consequential damage to the footway. If a kerb is being damaged because a vehicle is habitually using it to gain access to their property without a specifically built dropped kerb they can be reported to Council Connect for investigation.

Manhole Cover Repair

If a manhole cover is broken, collapsing, missing or dropped into its hole, and so is a danger to people using the footway, this must be reported immediately to Council Connect. The majority of manholes are for utility inspection and are not the maintenance responsibility of Bath & North East Somerset Council, however, we will inspect and pass to the relevant utility company for repair.


Builders Skip
  The council do not permit skips to be placed on the public footway even if alternatives are unavailable. If a skip is obstructing a public footway or a public right of way (PROW) please report this to Council Connect.

See also : Skip licences

Scaffold and Hoarding
  All Scaffolds and Hoarding encroaching onto the public footway should be licensed by the Council, and where a footway is obstructed there should be adequate provision for pedestrians. If a Scaffold or Hoarding is obstructing the footway and no adequate provision is in place then please report this to Council Connect for Inspection.

See also Scaffold/Hoarding Licences

Building Materials
  The council do not allow building materials on the public footway without a licence. If there are materials blocking the public footway which belong to or are caused by a builder/contractor you can report this to Council Connect for inspection.

See also Builder’s Materials Licence

Temporary works including traffic lights
  All works on the public footway must be approved by the Council. If you want to report works being carried out it is helpful to check the name of the contractor and the type of works then report the exact location of the works to Council Connect. The Council can then check for notification and validity of the work.

See also: Temporary Traffic Lights

Mixing concrete/mortar on the Footway/Highway
  The council do not allow any mixing of builder’s materials on the public footway/highway without approval. The contractor carrying out the works must be appropriately qualified and there must be adequate provision and protection. If you want to report the mixing of concrete/mortar on the public footway/highway please contact Council Connect for inspection.

See Also: Licences and Street Trading

Mud/Debris on the footway
  In the event of excess debris on the public footway please report the details, including an exact description of the obstruction and where it is, to Council Connect to be investigated by a Highway Inspector.

If the Item is refuse, a refuse bag, a dead animal, weeds or leaves then please report it to Council Connect where it will be passed to the Council's Cleansing department.

See Also: Flytipping

Overhanging trees, branches or hedges
  Hedges and trees that grow on the boundary of the highway or on adjacent land but overhang the highway are generally the responsibility of the adjoining property or land owner. Bath & North East Somerset Council will intervene if there is a safety concern associated with the hedge.

In the event that the landowner does not remove obstructions due to overhanging trees or protruding hedges/plants after enforcement, the Authority may remedy the problem and recharge the landowner.

To report an overhanging vegetation obstruction on the footway please contact Council Connect for inspection.

See also: Vegetation

Fallen trees and branches
  If a tree or branch has fallen and is obstructing the highway please report it to Council Connect via the details given at the bottom of the page.

For trees that have fallen onto telephone lines please contact British Telecom on 0800 800 151.

For trees that fallen onto power lines please contact Western Power Distribution on 0800 365 900.

Illegal Signs
  Placing an illegal sign is an encroachment on the public highway.

If a person without lawful authority or excuse in any way wilfully obstructs the free passage along a highway, they are guilty of an offence. In such cases the Council has legal powers to enforce the removal of all illegal signs. Illegal signs should be reported to Council Connect for inspection.

Discharge of water onto the highway
  If significant water is illegally discharging on to the highway this should be reported to Council Connect for investigation.

See also Drainage

Your rating: 

Your rating: None Average: 2.4 (10 votes)
To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.