Temporary Traffic Signals 

Temporary traffic signals are traffic lights that are in position temporarily, normally to direct traffic whilst roadworks are being carried out. Temporary traffic signals can also be used when work is being undertaken on walls and bridges.

Temporary Traffic Signal Application:


Permission from the Council (Highway Authority) prior to erecting temporary traffic signals on the highway is always required. It is the responsibility of those who will be carrying out the work to contact the Council.

The applicant is responsible for all temporary traffic management, planning the work and risk assessments. The applicant must take into account site-specific factors such as schools, zebra crossings, signalised pedestrian crossings, bus stops, traffic signal junctions and commercial and industrial activity when planning the work. To view current traffic signals currently in operation please visit Elgin road report

If temporary traffic signals are in the vicinity of any permanent traffic signals then a site meeting may be required with a Council Officer to assess the situation.

The operator of the temporary traffic signals is responsible for adjusting green times at sites that are subject to high traffic flows to minimise delays and balance queues.

You will need

  • Highway Permission from the Council by completing the application form
  • Public Liability insurance cover of £5,000,000 minimum
  • Street Works Accreditation under the New Roads and Streetworks Act 1991
  • The operator of the temporary traffic signals must comply with DfT booklet 'An Introduction to the use of Vehicle Actuated Portable Traffic Signals' (ISBN 0-11-550781-7)

There are three types of temporary signals

  • Two way shuttle working temporary traffic signals (not near permanent signals)
  • Two way temporary traffic signals (near to permanent signals)
  • Three or four way temporary traffic signals 

Regardless of which type of traffic signals you require, you must seek approval from the Council before erecting them on the highway.


  1. The applicant requests authorisation by completing the application form which you can download from this page or alternatively request via post, email or fax by contacting Council Connect on01225 394041.
  2. Return the completed form to the address given on the form.

    Applications for all temporary signals need to be addressed to the Street Works team.

    There is no administrative fee for this application unless inadequate notice period is given, in which case a £50 charge may be levied.

  3. The application form must be returned with a 1:1250 plan (or greater) showing the location of the works and the required position of signal heads.

  4. Upon receipt the Highway Maintenance team will decide if your application is suitable

  5. The application must be received a minimum of 7 days before the signals are to be installed. On traffic sensitive roads 21 days notice may be required

  6. The operator must immediately notify the Council of any changes to their proposals and any change of information supplied on the application form.


  • All applications must have a plan showing signal head positions, area of work, signage etc.
  • All applications must be filled in correctly with dates, location, emergency contact number etc.
  • It must be made clear if there are any pedestrian facilities or permanent traffic signals that will be affected by the works and made clear what provisions will be made.
  • There will be a cost where permanent traffic signals need to be switched off/on.

You can also view more information on permanent traffic signals - lighting - traffic lights.

Your rating: 

Your rating: None Average: 1.8 (6 votes)
To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.