Footway Crossing applications

Bath & North East Somerset Council is responsible for maintaining public highway footways/pedestrian pavements. A crossing across a public footway, pavement or verge for your vehicle to gain access to your property from the highway is known as a "dropped kerb" crossover or a "footway crossing". It must be built to specific standards and approved by your Council. In some cases planning permission will also required.

This page covers the process of application to lower the kerb for vehicular access to your property.

If you require a lowered kerb for disabled access and egress to and from a section of footway, known as a Mobility Crossing, please contact

Do you need Planning Permission or Listed Building consent?

The application for a dropped kerb does not give permission to make changes within the boundary of your property as this would be a planning matter.  Works to vehicle access may be permissible under Permitted Development (PD) rights or you may need planning permission or listed building consent.  You can check this here

Making an application for a new dropped kerb or to alter an existing dropped kerb

Please review the Schedule of Conditions/Highways Guidance Notes and Application Form before submitting your application to ensure that you can meet the necessary requirements, particularly the minimum dimensions for hardstanding areas otherwise your application may be refused. (If your property is on Curo owned land you will also need to obtain their permission first.)

There is an administration fee of £155.00. this fee covers the highways inspection and issue of licence (if approved). Once we have received the application we will contact you to provide details of how to pay online (we are unable to take payments over the telephone).

A Council Highway Inspector will also make a site visit to determine if your application is suitable. Any difficulties with the access/egress of vehicles or obstacles e.g. a telegraph pole, will be noted at this point and you may be contacted by the Inspector.

The Council also contacts local utility companies to determine the location of underground utility apparatus which could be affected by the work. This information is provided to you if your application is approved.

You will receive written notification as to whether your application is successful.  You must not proceed with any work to lower the kerb until you have received formal notification of approval, a copy of the utility plans and your hardstanding area is completed. Please allow up to 6 weeks for your application to be processed, however at busy periods this may take longer.

If your application to drop the kerb is approved you will need to arrange to have the work done by a NRSWA (New Roads and Streetworks Act) accredited contractor, which can be found from the attached list. This work is done at your cost. Approval from the Highway Maintenance department for the construction of a footway crossing will be valid for a maximum of 12 months from the date the approval is granted, however utility plans are only valid for a period of 3 months - new plans will be charged at cost so please advise if you do not intend to construct the crossing within the first three months following approval.


Your rating: 

Your rating: None Average: 3.2 (51 votes)
To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.