Every cherry picker/mobile crane that is placed on the highway must have a licence which is issued by the Local Authority. Please note that should a road closure be required to enable the crane to be placed on the highway, a Temporary Traffic Regulation Order will also need to be applied for, this requires an additional notice period of 8 weeks.
Please be aware that access restrictions are now in place for specific streets in Bath City centre to allow for social distancing guidelines to be adhered to. Further information on these initiatives can be found on our traffic measures page. (If you do not require access to one of these specific streets, please go to the normal application process below).
You will need to provide at least 1 hours’ notice of your arrival by phoning the CCTV Team on 01225 477447. In addition, you will need to provide the following information to enable appropriate checks to be carried out:
- Name of contractor and operative
- Vehicle registration
- Name/ address/ telephone number of the applicant
Vehicles will need to be liveried and the operative will require suitable ID.
Either hard or electronic copy of the license will need to be produced on site for checking. Failure to do so will result in access refusal.
For Lower Borough Walls access, drivers will need to approach the rising bollard and speak to one of the CCTV operators via the intercom on the communications pillar. Once license details have been checked, access will be permitted.
The process for a cherry picker/crane on the public highway is as follows:
- Complete and return a licence application form (available in word or pdf) to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Include a current copy of your public liability insurance cover, which must be for a minimum of £5 million
- The administration fee for a new 28 day licence is £58. Please note that fees are non-refundable and non-transferrable.
- You must include up-to-date contact details. Once we have received the application we will contact you to provide details of how to pay online (we are unable to take payments over the telephone).