You will need permission from the Council (Highway Authority) prior to placing building materials or a container on the highway. It is the responsibility of the householder/client, in conjunction with the contractor, to obtain a licence for any material that is placed on the highway (this includes the carriageway, footway and Council owned verge).

Best practice dictates avoidance of any building materials/container being placed on the highway, the safest location being off the highway on private land.

If it is not possible to avoid using the public highway, materials should be placed in the carriageway, rather than on the footway. Building materials/containers placed on the highway should not obstruct or interfere with any rights of way, drainage of the street, traffic flow or with any apparatus of the public utility companies.

Above all Safety is the key priority to consider.

Building/property owner – you will need:

  • To check that your builder/contractor has the appropriate documents and licences and that they do not expire before the building work is finished

Contractor - you will need:

  • Written permission from the Council
  • Public Liability Insurance with a £5million indemnity limit
  • A Site Plan


  1. The contractor requests a licence by contacting the Council on 01225 394041 or by downloading the Building Materials/Container Application Form. This is available in Word or PDF format.
  2. The contractor completes the licence application form and returns it to the address given on the form with:
    • Payment of £56 administration, £111 for retrospective licences. (Please note that fees are non-refunadable and non-transferrable). From 1 April 2019 these fees will be £57 and £113 respectively.
    • Proof of current public liability insurance cover with a £5 million indemnity limit.
  3. The builder should ensure the Council receives the application at least 10 working days before the anticipated deposit date.
  4. A Council Highways Inspector will check that the proposed location is suitable to place materials/container.
  5. If appropriate the Council will issue the licence to the contractor. The materials/container must not be deposited on the highway before the licence is issued.
  6. Once a licence is issued the building materials/container can be placed on site at the agreed location, abiding by any conditions or stipulations set by the Council.

Your rating: 

Your rating: None Average: 2.3 (3 votes)
To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.