Bath & North East Somerset Council are responsible for maintaining footpaths. If you intend putting up a cross-street banner or displaying a banner on a building or land you will need permission from the Council’s Highway Maintenance and Development Management teams.

Items erected purely for commercial advertising will not be permitted.

You will need:

  • Advertisement Consent from the Council (see planning applications)
  • Highway Permission from the Council by completing the application pack (right)
  • Public Liability insurance cover of £5,000,000
  • May require permission from the buildings owner to install suitable anchor bolts if the banner is in Bath; see Conditions to erect banners (right)

Note:  Certain locations in Bath city centre already have approved planning and advertisement consent.  For details see the 'Guide to applying to put up banners and flags' document.

The Process:

  1. First obtain advertisement consent (see planning applications)
  2. Once you have received advertisement consent from planning services you can proceed with an application to the Council’s Highway Maintenance team
  3. Complete the application form which you can download as a Word file or PDF document.
  4. Return the completed form to the address given on the form; there is an administrative fee of £59 for this application. Please note that fees are non-refundable and non-transferrable.
  5. Upon receipt the Highway Maintenance team will decide if your application is suitable
  6. If your application is successful you will need to:

The process can take 2 weeks, but please note that obtaining advertisement consent can take up to 8 weeks.

Length of time permitted:

  • Consent is to be for the minimum practical period for the purpose intended. In the case of banners advertising an event, will normally be for 1 week, (the duration depends on location and in special circumstances can be extended to 2 weeks).

How can I make a complaint regarding banners across the highway?

Any urgent complaints about the location or safety of banners across the highway should be reported to the Council Connect on 01225 394041 immediately.

Non urgent complaints about banners across the highway can be reported via email or fax using the contact details given at the bottom of the page.

Your rating: 

Your rating: None Average: 3.3 (4 votes)
To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.