The Council in Bath and North East Somerset with GLL have started a major refurbishment of Keynsham Leisure Centre that will help create an active community, particularly for young people. Facilities will include
- A new teaching pool
- New and improved wet side changing spaces
- An enhanced fitness suite
- New multi-storey soft play attraction
- New studio space
- A remodelled reception and café space to create a more open-plan feel with better views of the pool
- Refurbished sports hall and dry changing areas
The enhanced refurbishment of Keynsham Leisure Centre will see the centre transformed into a modern and dynamic leisure facility aimed at motivating more people to get more active more often.
Latest Update: 15 May 2018
Preliminary works have started on the refurbishment and extension of Keynsham Leisure centre. Kier Construction have been appointed as the main contractor and over the past 2 weeks they have been setting up their site offices and welfare facilities in the old Fire station adjacent the site and progressing with the enabling works before starting the new learning pool extension. Part of these works involve the installation of a temporary bridge over the River Chew to enable construction vehicles to gain access to the lower park level. Works are progressing on schedule with the installation of the temporary Bailey bridge planned to be installed on Sunday 27th May 2018. This will result in the partial closure of the Bath Hill car park for one day to allow access for the crane and bridge sections to take plave. Going forward, over the next few weeks you will see that site perimeter hoarding and scaffolding being erected around both the Leisure Centre and Riverside buildings.
- Commence on site - May 2018
- Squash courts, Sports Hall plus new Gym, reception, cafe and soft play open - Spring 2019
- Swimming pool closes - Spring 2019
- Completion and centre open - Winter 2019
Plans for the Leisure Centre have been produced following feedback from residents, and included an improved sports hall for badminton and other sports, a refurbished swimming pool with viewing gallery, a new teaching pool, as well as enhanced gym facilities and new soft play area.
The aim of the enhancements to Keynsham Leisure Centre is to ensure Keynsham has great facilities that encourage more people to get active more often, particularly those who don’t currently use the leisure centre. It will be a place for the local community to be proud of and, with something for everyone, it will be a fantastic environment for getting fitter and healthier whilst having fun.
Bath and North East Somerset Council are very keen to get more people involved in sport and physical activity – especially families, young people, older people and those who are overweight. To do that, our facilities need to be modern and welcoming and able to engage the greatest number of people.
During the refurbishment, which will be completed in phases, the leisure Centre will remain operational.
To find out more about your local leisure centre go to www.better.org.uk or call:
- Bath Sports and Leisure Centre 01225 486905
- Keynsham Leisure Centre 01225 439680
- Culverhay Sports Centre 01225 480882
- Chew Valley Sports Centre 01275 333375
For more information about Midsomer Norton and Writhlington Leisure Centres call:
- Writhlington Sports Centre 01761 438559
- Midsomer Norton Sports Centre 01761 252631