Required for 1) all applications for noise sensitive development (e.g. residential, schools and hospitals) adjacent to major road/transport infrastructure and other significant sources of noise; and 2) applications for uses that involve activities that may generate significant levels of noise adjacent to existing noise sensitive uses.

Examples of when normally required:

  • Change of use to A3, A4, A5 adjacent or close to dwellings
  • New residential development sited on or near transport related noise sources such as road classified as A or B, rail or air transport
  • New residential development adjacent or close to licensed premises
  • New commercial development within Use Classes B2 or B8 adjacent or close to existing residential development

A Noise Impact Assessment, prepared by a suitably qualified acoustician, should outline the potential sources of noise generation, and how these may have a negative effect on local amenity. The assessment should also outline how the developer intends to overcome these issues.

Advice should be sought from the Council’s Environmental Protection service for individual requirements for sound insulation in residential and commercial developments.


Further guidance is provided in the National Planning Policy Framework (external link).


Last updated: 20 March 2018

Your rating: 

No votes yet
To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.