Householder Application for planning permission for works or extension to a dwelling and Listed Building consent


In order for your application to be accepted as valid you need to comply with the National Requirements set out here, followed by information needed to meet the Council’s Local Requirements for the validation of applications. A more detailed description of each Local Requirement document is provided by clicking on the relevant links below and where relevant, thresholds have been set to identify in what circumstances the documents are required for validation purposes.

Completed form.

A plan which identifies the land to which the application relates drawn to an identified scale, e.g. 1:1250, and showing the direction of North. The application site should be edged clearly with a red line. A blue line should be drawn around any other land owned by the applicant, close to or adjoining the application site.  Please refer to the Planning Portal Guidance on Site Location Plans. Site location plans can be purchased from the Planning Portal website. These can also be uploaded as part of the Planning Portal online planning application process.

A copy of other plans and drawings or information necessary to describe the subject of the application including:

  • Block plan of the site (e.g. at a scale of 1:100 or 1:200) showing any site boundaries
  • Existing and proposed elevations (e.g. at a scale of 1:50 or 1:100)
  • Existing and proposed floor plans (e.g. at a scale of 1:50 or 1:100)
  • Existing and proposed site sections and finished floor and site levels (e.g. at a scale of 1:50 or 1:100)
  • Roof plans (e.g. at a scale of 1:50 or 1:100)

Extra copies may be requested for certain applications.

The completed Ownership Certificate (A, B, C or D – as applicable) as required by planning regulations.

Agricultural Holdings Certificate as required by planning regulations.

Design and access statement, if required

The appropriate fee

Submit a fully completed CIL Additional Information Requirement Form with your application if the proposal creates floorspace through a new building or conversion/change of use.  Check the advice on completing the form.

In addition, where Ownership Certificates B, C or D have been completed, notice(s) as required by planning regulations must be given and/or published in accordance with the regulations. 

SPECIAL NOTE: Please note that normally this category of application would not require a Design and Access Statement. However, it is extremely likely that such a Statement WILL be required within the area of Bath and North East Somerset Council

All submitted plans must be to a recognised scale, plans that include the words “Do Not Scale” will not be registered.

Advice for hard copy applications -

Only 1 set of paper documents needs to be provided.


  • Biodiversity and Geological Conservation Assessment - Where work is proposed to certain areas of a building (such as vaults or the roof space) it may be necessary to submit a protected species survey with your application. If this may apply to your application you are advised to contact the councils ecologist to discuss the matter. 
  • Flood risk assessment
  • Heritage Statement (including historical, archaeological features and Scheduled Ancient Monuments)
  • Tree survey/arboricultural statement
  • When work is proposed to alter or install small scale architectural features or details including doors, windows, panelling, plasterwork, staircases and fireplaces scale elevations at 1:10 or 1:20 and sections at a legible scale of 1:1, 1:2 or 1:5 to be submitted showing the proposals.  This would be applicable for listed buildings only.

  • Stone cleaning survey - Any proposal to carry out stone cleaning and or/removal of paint should be accompanied by a pre cleaning survey and full details of the proposed cleaning method.  Further advice can be found in the Council’s Stone Cleaning leaflet here. This would be applicable for listed buildings only.
  • Structural survey/report should accompany any application where the work proposed has implications for the structural integrity of the listed building or work is proposed to address possible structural problems with the listed building.  This would be applicable for listed buildings only.

Applicants can consider using a planning agent to assist them with their application; we have published a list of accredited agents here.

PLEASE NOTE: Information provided on the application form and accompanying drawings and documents will be made available on the internet.

Last updated: 20 March 2018

Your rating: 

Your rating: None Average: 1.2 (5 votes)
To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.