The regulations concerning the need for planning permission for house extensions are very complicated. Please complete the downloadable questionnaire (see listed under the Documents section on the right of this page) if you are unsure whether you require planning permission for householder development.

  • This questionnaire can be completed by anyone who wishes to obtain the informal opinion of the Authority as to whether or not a proposed householder development might require formal planning approval.
  • This questionnaire relates solely to individual residential properties and not to any flats, or properties with a business use.
  • The relevant sections of the form should be completed and a sketch showing the proposed development should be indicated in the space provided on the final sheet.
  • Please ensure all measurements stated are in metric.

The charge for this service is £57.00 (incl. VAT) is payable in advance.  You can do this online once you have received a B&NES planning reference number.

You must include an email address and telephone number so that we can contact you.

We are unable to return paper plans.

We aim to respond within 20 working days.

When do I need to apply for Listed Building Consent?

Advice on the need to apply for listed building consent can be obtained by writing to the Planning & Conservation Team, Planning Services, Lewis House, Manvers Street, Bath BA1 1JG. Please provide as much detail as possible, this can include sketch plans and photographs. Charges as above. 

Non-householder development:

Written advice on the need for planning permission for non-householder developments are also charged as above.


Last updated: 15 July 2019

Your rating: 

Your rating: None Average: 2.5 (22 votes)
To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.