house with scaffolding

You’ll probably need planning permission if you want to:

• build something new
• make a major change to a building, e.g. new extension
• change the use of a building

If you undertake works without planning permission or listed building consent when it is needed, you may be required to reinstate all the works at your cost.

How do I find out the planning history on a property?

Use our Planning Application search facility to view applications from 1996 to the present. Some applications from 1996 to 2005 may not show any associated documents, therefore please email us at to view, providing the full address and any application reference numbers. 

Planning history prior to 1996 is not available online. You will need to email us as above, with the full postal address and any associated details such as application reference numbers. We will endeavour to upload any relevant planning files to our website within 2 weeks of the request.

If you are looking for Planning applications in the City of Bath between 1948 and 1996 an online catalogue is available here.

How do I check planning constraints?

To find out if your property is subject to planning constraints enter your postcode in the ‘Services in Your Area’ box at the top of this page and follow these simple instructions:

* Find your address

* Ensure you have selected the ‘Maps’ tab on the top left of the screen

* Select the Planning map on the left

* Expand the Planning Constraints categories below

The Legislation and Guidance

From 25 May 2019 - The increased size limits for single-storey rear extensions that were previously time limited and due to expire on 30 May 2019 have now been made permanent by government. View the Prior Notification for Householder Permitted Development form and guidance.

The Planning Practice Guidance (external link) sets out when planning permission is required and different types of planning permission which may be granted.  The DCLG have also produced a useful Guide on householder permitted development (PDF).

Houses in multiple occupation and planning permission (Council web page)

Certificate of Proposed Lawful Use

If you want a formal certificate stating whether or not planning permission is required for your proposal, please complete a Certificate of Proposed Lawful Use application

Vehicle Access and Dropped Kerbs

Planning permission covers works within the boundary of your property, and does not permit you to lower the kerb.  For that you will need written approval from Highways which you can get by applying here
Some proposals to alter access within the boundary of your property may be permissable under Permitted Development (PD) rights.  You can check this by following the advice at the top of the page.
You will need planning permission if any of the following are applicable to your property:

- Your proposal includes a dropped kerb onto an A, B or C Class Road.  You can find out whether a road is classified here

- Your property is listed and you are going to create or alter a gate, wall, fence or railing within the curtilage of the listed building or the surrounding property (this requires listed building consent which is separate from planning permission)

- Your property is within the Conservation Area of Bath and the works would include demolition or removal of a gate pillar, wall, fence or railing abutting the highway or a public open space

- Your property is within another Conservation Area and the works would include demolition of a gate, fence, wall or railing over 1m high abutting the highway or a public open space

- Your property is divided into flats or maisonettes

- You will need to carry out structural works or alter the ground level to create a hardstanding/parking area

Pre Application Advice

Once you know you need planning permission or listed building consent you may like greater certainty of permission by using our pre-application advice service, for more information and the fees please visit Pre-Application advice.

Get an Agent

In all circumstances we recommend that you engage a planning agent to work with you on your proposal.  Lists of agents are available here Planning Portal and here RTPI


This is an introductory guide and is not a definitive source of legal information.

Last updated: 10 October 2019


Your rating: 

Your rating: None Average: 2.3 (11 votes)
To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.