Demolition work is controlled under the Building Act 1984 - Sections 80,81,82 & 83. When a person wishes to demolish a building that has a volume greater than 1750 cubic feet (49.5m³), they are required to give the Council, the occupier of any adjoining building, Transco and the Area Electricity Board written notice of their intentions. We will respond listing a number of conditions that must be complied with.

The conditions relate to such matters as the sealing of drains, the method of demolition and the support and weatherproofing of adjacent structures.

If a person is aggrieved by any of the conditions they have the right to appeal to the Magistrates Court.


Listed Building or Conservation area consent must be obtained prior to the demolition of any part of a building that is listed or situated within a conservation area. Planning permission may also be required for demolition work and you should check with the Planning section before commencing any demolition.

Demolition Notice - the link on the right of the page will take you to our demolition notification form. Please print this out, complete and sign it.  When you have done this please send it to Building Control by post or email. 

Asbestos Advice

Before any work begins ensure that a pre-demolition, intrusive refurbishment and demolition asbestos survey has been carried out to identify presence, type and condition of asbestos on site. 

If asbestos is present on site, make such arrangements to have it removed in a controlled manner. In particular ensure licensable asbestos containing materials are removed by a licensed asbestos removal contractor.

Ensure the asbestos waste is disposed of by a registered specialist contractor.

Further advice on asbestos can be found on the Health and Safety Executive website at

Your rating: 

Your rating: None Average: 3.5 (2 votes)
To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.