Loans and grants for essential repairs and improvement works or disabled adaptations are available to people with a low income who are vulnerable, disabled, elderly or who have young children.
Grants and Loans are also available for homeowners, tenants and landlords to improve the energy efficiency of their homes
If you don't qualify for loans and grants we may still be able to provide advice.
Loans are subject to status. Missing payments could affect your credit rating and ability to obtain credit in the future.
Home Improvement Agency
WE Care Home Improvements are the Council's commissioned Home Improvement Agency. They can help you apply for loans and grants and provide expertise and support if you are facing bigger building works or repair jobs. Call them on 0300 3230700, email them at email@example.com or visit their website www.wecr.org.uk
Lendology CIC work in partnership with the Council to provide low cost loans to homeowners for repairs and improvements.
- Tel: 01823 461099
- Email: Visit their website to make an enquiry
Home Energy Loan
- Loans from £500 - £15,000 are not subject to low income or vulnerability criteria.
- Repayment term of between 6 months to 15 years.
- Fixed interest rate throughout the term of the loan and typical 4.2% APR
- Call our Energy at Home Advice Line on 0800 038 5680 for advice and information. Contact Lendology directly about applying for a Loan.
Home Improvement Loan
Helps home owners pay for essential repairs that make their home safe to live in
The maximum loan is £15,000
- These loans are available to low income homeowners
Low income eligibility will be assessed by Lendology CIC. They will carry out a financial assessment to decide if an applicant is able to have a low interest Home Improvement Loan and if so how much. As part of the assessment they will look at clients' income, savings and outgoings.
- There is a choice of payback options. The interest rate is 4.2%.
- Loans are subject to approval by the Council's Housing Services
Affordable warmth grant
- Low Carbon Affordable Warmth
- Helps pay for essential heating and insulation measures.
- Call our Energy at Home Advice Line on 0800 038 5680 for advice and information
Urgent Repair Grant
- Helps home owners pay for essential repairs , for example to fix a broken boiler or dangerous electrics.
- The maximum grant is £1,000
- You must be either over 60 or have a disability or a long term limiting illness.
- Call WE Care Home Improvements on 0300 323 0700 to ask for an Urgent Repair Grant
- An officer from WE Care will arrange a home visit to see if the repairs qualify
Disabled Facilities Grant
- An occupational therapist will assess your needs and decide what adaptations are necessary.
- A Housing Officer from the Council will arrange a home visit to check that the proposed works are reasonable and practical. They will help you with your grant application.
- A Disabled Facilities Grant helps you pay for adaptations such as stairlifts and walk in showers.
- The maximum grant is £30,000.
Your Occupational Therapist can also help with providing equipment such as a commode, perching stool, raised toilet seat, chair or bed raisers or arrange minor alterations (rails or small ramp) can be provided to help you:
- Climb your stairs
- get on and off your chair, bed or toilet
- get in and out of your bath
- get in and out of your home