Picture of a telephone

If you have recently had issues with a food business in the Bath and North East Somerset Area, then you can contact us and notify our officers of the issues you have experienced. 

What we can help with:

  • Poor hygiene standards you have seen in a food premises
  • Cases of food poisoning, where you feel a specific food premises was the source of your illness
  • Allergen-related concerns about a food business – Any business selling non-prepacked food must be able to provide accurate information on the 14 allergens identified by law (if they are used as ingredients in a menu item). They may also need to employ proper separation practices to prevent cross-contamination of allergens during food preparation.
  • Food that is unfit to eat, or contains foreign bodies - Make sure you keep the receipt, and have not removed the foreign bodies from the food. We may ask you to bring the foreign body or the food to our offices on Bath's Manvers St; otherwise, we will generally advise that you contact the shop or supplier you bought it from to return the product.
  • Generic food safety advice for food businesses

Contact Us

You can reach us by email at: public_protection@bathnes.gov.uk

What we can’t deal with:

  • Complaints made anonymously - we will take your name and contact details when you contact us about a food business in the area. Your details remain confidential, and are not given to the food business involved or any other parties without your permission. If the business is investigated, we can then update you with the progress of the investigation.  Anonymous complaints can sometimes be malicious and unfounded. If you are emailing us, please make sure you include a direct contact phone number for yourself, so the duty officer can speak with you.
  • Food or drink sold outside of the Bath and North East Somerset area.
  • Poor quality food – this does not mean the food is unsafe to eat, even if it does not match your expectations.
  • Detailed, continuous food safety advice for businesses - however, we can offer this as part of our New Business Start-Up, Bite Size and Gain & Retain 5 packages.

Any Labelling, Weight or general Quality issues you have experienced can be dealt with by our Trading Standards team.  Their department can be contacted by email at trading_standards@bathnes.gov.uk


You can report a problem trader or get consumer advice by contacting the Citizens Advice Consumer Service. The Citizens Advice Consumer Service provides free, confidential and impartial advice on consumer issues. It channels complaints about traders to the correct local trading standards service. You can get clear and practical advice on all kinds of consumer issues from faulty goods to dealing with unsatisfactory services, from guarantees to finding out whether you can cancel a contract for goods or services. Additionally, if you are aware of a scam or a business acting unfairly or illegally, report your concerns to Citizens Advice.

Consumer advice and information is available online from the Advice guide website.

To contact the Citizens Advice consumer service, please call 0808 223 1133 (textphone users should dial 18001 then the full number) or email, using their online consumer complaint form

The telephone helplines are open Monday to Friday 9.00am to 5.00pm.

A variety of sample letters are also available on the Citizens Advice website to assist you in resolving your dispute on topics such as complaining about faulty goods, poor services and returning goods purchased over the internet.

For more information, please visit:



Your rating: 

Your rating: None Average: 5 (1 vote)
To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.