Report a food hygiene issue

What we can deal with:

  • Poor hygiene standards seen in food premises
  • Investigating a potential food poisoning
  • Allergen-related concerns about a food business – Any business selling non-prepacked food should be able to provide accurate information on the 14 allergens. They may also need to employ separation practices to prevent cross-contamination of allergens.
  • Food that is unfit to eat or contains foreign bodies - If this happens, make sure you keep the receipt, and have not removed the foreign bodies from the food.

Contact Us

To notify us about any of these issues, please phone us on: 01225 477508


What we can’t deal with:

  • Anonymous complaints - when making a complaint about a food business we take your name and contact details. These remain confidential and are not given to the food business involved or any other parties. If the business is investigated, we can then update you with the progress of the investigation.  Anonymous complaints can sometimes be malicious and unfounded.
  • Food sold outside of the Bath and North East Somerset area.
  • Poor quality food – this does not mean the food is unsafe to eat.

Labelling, weight issues and poor quality can be dealt with by our Trading Standards team.  Their department can be contacted on:

Tel: 01225 396753

You can report a problem trader or get consumer advice by contacting the Citizens Advice Consumer Service. The Citizens Advice Consumer Service provides free, confidential and impartial advice on consumer issues. It channels complaints about traders to the correct local trading standards service. You can get clear and practical advice on all kinds of consumer issues from faulty goods to dealing with unsatisfactory services, from guarantees to finding out whether you can cancel a contract for goods or services. Additionally, if you are aware of a scam or a business acting unfairly or illegally, report your concerns to Citizens Advice.

Consumer advice and information is available online from the Advice guide website.

To contact the Citizens Advice consumer service, please call 03454 040506 (textphone users should dial 18001 then the full number) or email, using their online consumer complaint form

The telephone helplines are open Monday to Friday 9.00am to 5.00pm.

A variety of sample letters are also available on the Citizens Advice website to assist you in resolving your dispute on topics such as complaining about faulty goods, poor services and returning goods purchased over the internet.

Your rating: 

No votes yet
To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.