What are Short Breaks?

Short breaks provide invaluable support for disabled children, young people and their families.  It provides disabled children and young people with the opportunity to experience new relationships, environments and positive activities which provides them with valuable social skills and independence. Families are able to take time out to recharge their batteries or provide additional support so that the whole family can enjoy activities together.

These breaks can take the form of:

  • Daytime care in the home or elsewhere
  • Overnight care in the home or elsewhere
  • Leisure activities outside the home
  • Services available to assist carers in the evenings, at weekends and during school holidays

Short breaks come in many different forms and can last anything from a couple of hours to days.  The length and type of break will depend on your child, young person and family.


The following services are available to all disabled children in Bath & North East Somerset.  Parents/carers of disabled children can apply directly to these services, but access will be dependent upon the capacity of the service.

  • Holiday play schemes
  • Saturday clubs
  • Youth clubs
  • Leisure activities
  • Befriending

If your child has additional or more complex needs a social care assessment will be undertaken by the Disabled Children’s Team.  Having been assessed as being eligible for help, there are various options that may be available to you:

There are eligibility criteria for social care assessments which ensure that children with the most complex needs are able to access these specialist resources.

If you prefer, you can also be referred for an assessment by a GP, Social Worker, School Nurse or Health Visitor.

The Short Break Statement

The short break statement gives an overview for parents about:

  • How to access short break activities for disabled young people
  • The range of short breaks in Bath & North East Somerset
  • Who is entitled to a short break (spectrum of short breaks)

The Breaks for Carers of Disabled Children 2011 regulations require local authorities to provide a statement so that families have a clear understanding of the short breaks service in their area and who can access it.  Please refer to related documents.

A Young Person's Guide to Short Breaks
A young person's Guide to Short Breaks and a widget version are available under the documents section.

B&NES Parent Carers Voice
Parent Carers Voice is an independent group led by local parents which provides an opportunity for parent carers to work together to have their voices heard and influence changes in local services. Parent Carers Voice is for parent carers to meet other parents caring for children with any kind of disability. This group enables the enthusiasm and commitment of parents with disabled children to make real improvements to services which will directly affect them and their children.

Parents with disabled children are experts in their child’s needs and can collectively transform services for all children and families.

To find out more about Parent Carers Voice, please contact Claire Abrahams at:
The Carers' Centre, 1 Riverside Cottages, Radstock, Bath BA3 3PS. Tel: 01761 431388
Email: Claire.Abrahams@banescarerscentre.org.uk

Young People's Participation
Children and young people are consulted mainly through special schools and youth groups. Youth Inclusion Advocates, who meet as a group at Off the Record, are the consultative body for disabled young people in Bath and North East Somerset aged 13-19.

If you know of a young person who might wish to join the Youth Inclusion Advocates then please contact Off The Record.
Tel: 01225 312481 Fax: 01225 446641 Text: 07753 891 745 Email: office@offtherecord-banes.co.uk



Your rating: 

Your rating: None Average: 1.6 (5 votes)
To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.