Applications must be made on forms provided by the Council. The following will be required on application:
- Application Form (to be completed at time of application).
- Registration document.
- Current insurance certificate which must cover the vehicle for hire and reward. Insurance certificates should only show licensed drivers. Insurance certificates that include unlicensed spouses or partners will not be accepted.
- MOT certificate for all vehicles over one year old on date of application.
- Fee (current fee in force at time of application).
- Mechanical Inspection Certificate (from nominated Council Garage).
- Measured mile meter compliance certificate (if vehicle fitted with a taximeter).
Please contact Licensing Services if you would like us to send you an application pack.
- All vehicles must be presented for a visual inspection by an Authorised Officer prior to being approved for the purpose of Hackney Carriage licensing. Vehicles should be less than four years old on the date of the first application for a Hackney Carriage vehicle licence. It is advisable to consult a Licensing Officer before purchasing a prospective vehicle. All vehicles must be approved by a Licensing Offcer. If you purchase a vehicle without consulting a LIcensing Officer you do so at your own risk.
- The engine size of the vehicle must be at least 1400 cc and shall have three doors which are accessible to fare paying passengers wishing to enter or exit the vehicle.
- Vehicles shall comply with the European Community M1 type approval for passenger carrying vehicles. The definition of category M1 type approval is any motor vehicle with at least four wheels designed and constructed for the carriage of passengers.
- Vehicles that have been originally classified as complying with M1 type approval but have undergone modifications or conversions since original manufacture will be considered suitable provided they are presented with the relevant Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA) or Single Vehicle Approval (SVA) certificate issued by the VOSA.
- Any vehicle submitted for licensing originally given European Community N type approval will be considered unfit for the purpose and will not be licensable as a Private Hire vehicle. The definition of category N type approval is any motor vehicle with at least four wheels, designed and constructed for the carriage of goods. Type approval status can be found on the vehicle registration document (V5C).
Please also ensure you have read (and understand) the relevant policy and conditions.
When you are ready to proceed with your application, please telephone us on 01225 477689 to arrange an appointment to have your application checked by a Licensing Officer. Postal applications will not be accepted.
More pages about Hackney Carriage Vehicle Licences