Applications must be made on forms provided by the Council. The following will be required on application:
- Application Form
- Medical Certificate
- Birth Certificate
- Driving Licence (both parts)
- Police Check Form
- Mandate for Release of Information from the DVLA
- Application Fee
- Licence Fee
- Badge Deposit
Electronic forms are not possible as the application pack must contain DBS forms and DVLA mandates which are not available online. Please contact Licensing Services for further advice.
Every Hackney Carriage/Private Hire driver:
- must have obtained the age of 21 years; and
- must have held a full driving licence for a minimum of three years.
Please also ensure you have read (and understand) the relevant policy and conditions.
- When you are ready to proceed with your application, please telephone us on 01225 477689 to arrange an appointment to have your application checked by a Licensing Officer. Postal applications are not accepted.
- Successful completion of an English language test is required before a licence can be granted.
- Applicants will be expected to have a good knowledge of the streets, road numbers, principal buildings, hotels, etc. of the district. A written knowledge test may be given to applicants before a licence is issued. The applicant may also be asked to provide a vehicle for a short driving test to check that they can take the shortest available route to a named destination.
- As part of the application, permission to undertake a Police record check and a check to obtain details of driving convictions is required from the applicant.
More pages about Driver Licences