Petroleum Storage Certificate


To run a business where petrol is stored for dispensing directly into the fuel tank of an internal combustion engine - or where large amounts of petrol are stored for private use - you need a certificate from your local Petroleum Enforcement Authority (PEA). 


Petroleum means any product of crude petroleum that has a flashpoint below 21°C.  This includes petrol, benzene, pentane and any mixture that contains these products and has a flashpoint below 21°C.  This doesn't include white spirit, paraffin, diesel oil or fuel oils.


  • Storage of up to 2,500 litres:  £45 per year
  • Storage of 2,500 to 50,000 litres:  £61 per year
  • Storage of over 50,000 litres:  £128 per year
  • Transfer of licence:  £37

New applications:  How to make a payment


Annual fees:  you can make the payment online here.  


Certificates will not need to be renewed.  However:

  • a new certificate will be required following a prescribed material change, as detailed in Schedule 1 of the Petroleum (Consolidation) Regulations 2014;
  • the certificate will no longer be valid if the premises cease to be used for the keeping of petrol for a continuous period exceeding 12 months.

Prescribed Material Changes to Storage Arrangements

Regulation 8 of the Petroleum (Consolidation) Regulations 2014 states that a prescribed material change to the storage arrangements contained in this storage certificate must be notified to the PEA named in Section 1 of this certificate at least 28 days before any work commences. Schedule 1 of the Regulations lists prescribed material changes as:

  • the cessation of use of one or more of the petrol storage tanks;
  • the removal or permanent decommissioning one or more of the petrol storage tanks;
  • the installation of any tank, pipework or vapour pipework associated with the storage and dispensing of petrol;
  • the installation of any petrol pump, any other automotive pump, or dispenser in a new location.

An annual fee is required to maintain your registration. 

Eligibility Criteria 

Please contact the Petroleum Licensing Officer.

Application Form

An online application form is being developed.  Please use the form below which is available in MS Word format for you to complete electronically or by hand:


There is no consultation process, but we will inform Trading Standards of your application and they may wish to contact you should they have any concerns.


There is no statutory period for determining applications; however, we aim to determine applications within 28 days.

Right of Appeal 

Please contact Licensing Services in the first instance.

If an application is refused the applicant may appeal to the Secretary of State.

Customer Complaints 

If you wish to make a complaint please complete the online submission form.


The Health and Safety Executive has produced guidance which is available at

Please contact Trading Standards or Licensing Services for further guidance.

Relevant Legislation

The Petroleum (Consolidation) Regulations 2014

We have made the information on these web pages as comprehensive as possible.  However, in attempting to simplify the law, certain requirements have been omitted.  Full details of what you must do are in the relevant legislation.
Laws can and do change.  Information was accurate when produced, but may have changed since.  We must advise that only the Courts can give an authoritative opinion on statute law.

Trade Associations 

Further Information 

For details of premises licensed to store petroleum, please visit our Licensing Database website.

Additional contact details.

Your rating: 

Your rating: None Average: 1.5 (2 votes)
To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.