Caravan and Camping Site Licence


To run a caravan and camping site you need a licence from the local authority.

  • Moveable Dwelling Site Licences (Tents)
    Section 269 of the Public Health Act 1936 gives the Council powers to control the use of movable dwellings (i.e. tents) and the use of land as a site for this purpose.

    If the land is to be used for more than 28 days in total in any calendar year, planning permission must be obtained. 
    A site licence is required for any site which is used for more than 42 days consecutively or 60 days in total in any consecutive 12 months as a site for moveable dwellings.

    You do not need a licence if the use of the tent or tents is for yourself or members of your household, or as seasonal accommodation for agricultural workers on your farm.

  • Caravan Site Licences
    Under the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960, a Caravan Site licence is required to use land to station any caravan, motor home, camper van or mobile home, for the purposes of human habitation.

    Valid planning permission is required in order to obtain a site licence. 

    The Council may grant or refuse a licence allowing use of a site.

    If you are granted a licence, conditions will be attached to ensure safety and a basic level of amenities. 

  • Sites with planning permission for both caravans and tents may be licensed as a single site under the Caravan and Control of Development Act 1960.  In this case, in reference to the required standards, tents will be treated as touring units.  However, if part of a site is used for tents, but does not have planning consent, it will need to be licensed separately under Section 269 of the Public Health Act 1936.


Free of charge.


Generally there is no expiry date for a site licence. However if the relevant planning permission is for a limited period, the site licence will expire at the same time as the planning permission.

Eligibility Criteria 

The applicant must be entitled to use the land as a caravan site. 

Licences will not be issued to applicants who have had a site licence revoked within three years of the current application.


Applications must be in writing (including by electronic means) and must include:

  • the applicant's name and address;
  • name and address of the premises to be licenced;
  • details of site including size and type;
  • details of arrangements for main water supply and disposal of waste water, sewage and refuse;
  • details of Planning permission;
  • a plan of the site.


On receipt of a valid application we will consult with:

  • Planning
  • Fire Service


Anyone wishing to make an objection to an application must give written notice of their objection to Licensing Services, stating the grounds of the objection.


There is no statutory period for determining applications; however, we aim to determine applications within 60 days.


Conditions may be attached to a licence to cover any of the following:

  • restricting when caravans can be on the site for human habitation or restricting the number of caravans that can be on the site at any one time;
  • controlling the types of caravans on the site;
  • controlling the positioning of the caravans or regulating the use of other structures and vehicles including tents;
  • to ensure steps are taken enhance the land, including planting/replanting bushes and trees;
  • fire safety and fire fighting controls;
  • to ensure that sanitary and other facilities, services and equipment are supplied and maintained. 

The conditions attached to each licence are specific to each site and selected as appropriate from the 2008 Model Standards.

Tacit Consent 

Tacit consent applies.  This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the 60 day target completion period.

Consent to Transfer

If a site licence holder ceases to be the occupier of the land, they may with the local authority's consent, transfer the licence to the person who then becomes the occupier of the land.

Application Form 

An online application form is currently being developed.  A Word version of the form is available as follows:

Please email your completed form to us at

Right of Appeal 

Please contact Licensing Services in the first instance.

If a licence holder:

  • is refused an application to alter a condition; or
  • wishes to appeal against a condition attached to a licence.

they may appeal to the Residential Property Tribunal

The appeal must be made within 21 days of the written notification of the refusal and a notice of appeal must be served on the local authority.

The local authority may alter conditions at any time, but must give licence holders the opportunity to make representations about the proposed changes. 

If a licence holder disagrees with the alterations they may appeal to Residential Property Tribunal.

The appeal must be made within 21 days of the written notification of the alteration and a notice of appeal must be served on the local authority.

Customer Complaints 

If you wish to make a complaint please complete the online submission form.


Please contact Licensing Services for further guidance.

Relevant Legislation 

  • Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960
  • Section 269 of the Public Health Act 1936
  • The Mobile Homes Act 2013 came into force on 26th May 2013, and amends the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960 in respect of ‘Relevant Protected Sites’.  A ‘Relevant Protective Site’ is defined in Section 1 of the Mobile Homes Act 1983.  Any licensed or licensable caravan site will be a relevant protected site unless it is specifically exempted from being so, for instance if it has planning permission or a site licence for exclusive holiday use, or there is a restriction on the use of the site for permanent residential use.
  • Where application is made to license a relevant protected site the local authority has discretion to grant or refuse a licence.
  • The Mobile Homes (Site Licensing) (England) Regulations 2014 regulates how site rules are implemented on relevant protected sites, and prescribes certain types of rules which cannot be included .  While there is no requirement to have site rules, site owners wishing to make ‘replacement’ site rules are required to consult residents, respond to any representations and lodge the rules with the local authority for inclusion on a public register.  If they have not done so by 4th February 2015, any rules in force prior to the commencement of the Mobile Homes Act 2013 will cease to have effect.  Rules made in accordance with these Regulations come into force 21 days after residents have been given notification by the owner that they have been deposited with the local authority, and then become express terms of the pitch agreement.

We have made the information on these web pages as comprehensive as possible.  However, in attempting to simplify the law, certain requirements have been omitted.  Full details of what you must do are in the relevant legislation.
Laws can and do change.  Information was accurate when produced, but may have changed since.  We must advise that only the Courts can give an authoritative opinion on statute law.

Trade Associations 

Further Information 

For details of caravan and camping sites licenced by us, please search our Licensing Database website.

For further information and guidance please phone Licensing Services on 01225 477531 or email contact details.

Your rating: 

Your rating: None Average: 3 (5 votes)
To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.