Gambing Act Temporary Use Notice (TUN)


A TUN allows the use of premises for gambling where there is no premises licence, but where a gambling operator wishes to use the premises temporarily for providing facilities for gambling.




You may pay in person or over the phone (01225 477531) using a credit or debit card.

Eligibility Criteria 

  • A TUN may only be granted to a person or company holding a relevant Operating Licence issued by the Gambling Commission.
  • The same set of premises may not be the subject of a TUN for more than 21 days in any 12 month period, but may be the subject of several Notices provided that the total does not exceed 21 days.  Should this period be exceeded we will issue a counter notice that has the effect of stopping the TUN coming into effect; failure to comply with the counter notice will be an offence.
  • A notice may not be given in respect of a vehicle.
  • An application for a TUN must be received by us a minimum of 3 months prior to the day before the event.

Application Form

An online application form is currently being developed.

A form is currently available in PDF format for you to print and complete by hand.

Please contact Licensing Services if you would like us to send you a form.


Two copies of your application for a TUN should be sent to B&NES Licensing Services and received by us a minimum of 3 months prior to the day before the event.

You must also submit a copy to each of the following Responsible Authorities within 7 days of the application being received by us:


The Licensing Authority and the above Responsible Authorities are permitted to make objections in relation to a temporary use notice.

Objections must be made within 14 days of the date of the notice. 

If any objections are received, a hearing will then be held by the Council to determine the notice.

If no objections are received the event can proceed as applied for.  A copy of the notice must then be displayed on the premises for the druation of the event.

Tacit Consent 

The Gambling Act 2005 is not subject to the EU Services Directive and tacit consent does not apply. 

Customer Complaints 

If you wish to make a complaint please complete the online submission form.


The Council's Statement of Principles outlines the principles it proposes to apply when exercising its functions under the Act.

The Gambling Commission has provided further advice on operating under a TUN.

Please contact either B&NES Licensing Services or the Gambling Commission for further guidance.

Relevant Legislation

Gambling Act 2005

We have made the information on these web pages as comprehensive as possible.  However, in attempting to simplify the law, certain requirements have been omitted.  Full details of what you must do are in the relevant legislation.
Laws can and do change.  Information was accurate when produced, but may have changed since.  We must advise that only the Courts can give an authoritative opinion on statute law.

Further Information 

For further information and guidance please phone Licensing Services on 01225 477531 or email

Additional contact details.

Your rating: 

Your rating: None Average: 1.5 (2 votes)
To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.