If you want to carry out any of the following licensable activities on a one-off or occasional basis you will need to serve a Temporary Event Notice (TEN) :

  • Sell alcohol by retail
  • Supply hot food or hot drink after 23:00 or before 05:00 on any day.  This includes takeaways, caf├ęs, mobile hot food vans and any other venue providing hot food or hot drink
  • Provide regulated entertainment such as performance of a play, exhibition of a film, indoor sporting events, boxing and wrestling, live or recorded music (or similar) and performance of dance (or similar)

You will also need a TEN if you intend to hold an event where tickets are sold stating alcohol is "free" (e.g. "a free glass of wine on entry").

TENs may also be used by licensed premises who want to increase the scope of their licence for a one-off event (e.g. allowing an extra hour for the supply of alcohol on a special occasion).

You still need a TEN even if the activities are for charity.

Large scale events which are likely to attract over 500 people will require a Premises Licence instead of a TEN.

Find out more about licensable activities

More pages about TENs

Your rating: 

Your rating: None Average: 3.1 (7 votes)
To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.