Local businesses account for a third of Bath and North East Somerset's carbon dioxide emissions. There are excellent business opportunities for local businesses that act now to prepare for the emerging low carbon economy. The importance of business adaption to a low carbon world is highlighted in the Economic Strategy for Bath and North East Somerset 2010 - 2026 in chapter 2: Scarcity of resources; page 10.
If your business is keen to reduce its environemental impact related to operations, here are some ways to get started:
- Choose an energy supplier that provides renewably generated electricity.
- How energy efficent is your workplace, e.g. LED light bulbs, heating controls.
- Influence your supply chains by asking for more sustainable options, the first step is to ask them to reduce unnecessary packaging.
- Can you source supplies more locally, e.g. food?
- Minimise waste, epecially single use plastic items. Reuse or recycle as much as possible.
- Business travel - can you reduce single use car journeys and use public transport or active travel where possible.
- Are you making use of technology to reduce the need travel?
- Could a business membership to a car sharing club reduce the need for onsite parking spaces for private cars?
A list of organisations provide support and networking is below:
West of England Green Business Grants
West of England Green Business Grants for SMEs: Carbon audit of your business and support to improve energy efficiency of buildings and business operations.
Future Economy Network
The Future Economy Network is an Events & Communications service based in Bristol through covering Bath and the south west too. They focus on delivering sustainability related events and networking opportunities whilst providing an invaluable mechanism for strategic communication.
We have an extensive subscription, skill set and the contacts to deliver exceptional events and facilitate collaborations. We are the hub of good news sustainability stories, we share our subscriber’s news, as well as flagging up business opportunities nationally and internationally to share with our ever-growing network and more recently introduced is their low carbon sector recruitment service.
They are part of a larger organisation, The Future Economy Group; a collective of services providing pragmatic business support and advice in the low carbon goods and service sector.
Travel West sustainable travel business support
Travel West provide business support and grants for sustainable travel options.
Travelwest is the one-stop website for travel information in the West of England, however you like to travel. They provide information to help make your life easier, healthier and save you money by encouraging you grab your bike, your trainers or to catch the bus.
They also keep provide updates about initiatives implemented across the West of England to promote sustainable travel relating to public transport, walking, cycling, car sharing and electric vehicles as well as providing useful resources for schools, businesses and developers.
For businesses based in Bath the Bath Business Improvement District (Bath BID) is an independent, not for profit, business-led initiative working to create the environment for businesses in Bath to succeed.
For BID members there are services available to help with savings and waste and recycling.