Current registration appointment guidance for Bath and North East Somerset Registration Service

  • On arrival at a registration office everyone must wait outside until invited in by a member of staff. Social distancing should be adhered to.
  • We are encouraging all our customers to download the NHS track and Trace App and to scan the QR code when entering the building for your appointment.
  • Face coverings are mandatory for all appointments and should always be worn in the building unless you are exempt
  • All attendees must sanitise their hands on entering the building and follow the instructions of the registrar.
  • Anyone showing signs of Covid-19 symptoms should not attend and will not be allowed into the building - your appointment will be rescheduled.

These procedures are in place to protect you and to keep us all safe

If you are a Bath and North East Somerset Resident and are a British or EEA citizen you are now able to call to make an appointment at Keynsham, Midsomer Norton and the Guildhall. 

If you have already given notice of marriage or civil partnership and wish to move your ceremony date, please note that your notices are only valid for 12months so if you move your ceremony date pass the expiry date of your notices you will need to give notice of marriage or civil partnership again.

If you live outside of Bath and North East Somerset but wish to marry in this district please contact your local Register Office to arrange a notice of marriage appointment.

Legal Preliminaries

Notice document checklist

You must bring originals of the following documents to your appointment:

  • details of the final venue for your ceremony
  • a valid passport, UK birth certificate (if you were born before 1 January 1983) or national identity card from the EU, European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland
  • proof of your home address
  • proof of any name changes (for example, a copy of a deed poll)

To prove your address, bring one of the following:

  • valid UK,EU,EEA or Swiss driving licence
  • gas, water or electricity bill from the last 3 months
  • bank or building society statement from the last month
  • Council Tax bill from the last 12 months
  • mortgage statement from the last 12 months
  • current tenancy agreement
  • letter from your landlord (dated within the last 7 days) confirming you live there and including your landlord's name, address and their signature
  • If your normal address is outside the UK, you'll need to give details of a UK contact address. For example, this could be your partner, friend or family member's address.

If you've been married or in a civil partnership before, you'll also need to bring one of the following documents:

  • a decree absolute or final order
  • your former partner's death certificate

You need to bring proof of your divorce, annulment or dissolution if it was granted outside of the UK, Channel Islands or Isle of Man. You'll have to pay a fee of £50 for the local register office to check your documents or £75 if the General Register Office needs to check them.

Where can I give Notice of Marriage/Civil Partnership?

If you live in Bath and North East Somerset you can make an appointment at any of our offices listed below. Please call 01225 477234 to arrange an appointment. Please note that due to the large volume of calls, there may be a wait before your call can be answered.

There is a Statutory fee of £35 each person to give notice of marriage/Civil Partnership and is payable when you attend the appointment.

Keynsham One Stop Shop

Keynsham Civic Centre

Market Walk


BS31 1FS

Opening Hours 

Tuesday  9am-4pm 

Midsomer Norton

The Hollies

High Street

Midsomer Norton


Opening Hours 

Wednesday  9am - 4pm

Bath Office

The Guildhall

High Street



Opening Hours

Monday - Friday 9am - 4pm

Your rating: 

Your rating: None Average: 3.1 (25 votes)
To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.