Adoption Certificates and Divorce Records are not held by the Register Office. The following information may be helpful.

Adoption Records / Certificates of Adoption

The Register Office in the district where the adopted person was born will only hold the original birth record. This will be annotated to show that the person was adopted.

The Adopted Children Register is kept by the General Register Office (GRO), and contains a record of every person who has been adopted through a court in England or Wales since 1 January 1927.

Certificates of adoption from the Adopted Children Register can only be obtained from the GRO.

You can send an application form to: 

General Register Office
PO Box 2

Telephone: 0300 123 1837


Or you can apply online via the GOV.UK website

You can find more information about adoption records on the GOV.UK website.

Divorce Records

You can find information about obtaining a copy of a decree absolute on the GOV.UK website.

Your rating: 

No votes yet
To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.