Hidden away in the back streets of Bath, Bellotts Road Cemetery is a municipal cemetery opened in 1881 and closed in 1937, at the same time as both Locksbrook and St James Cemeteries. All three were superceded by Haycombe Cemetery.
Maintenance of grounds
The maintenance regime in place at present is to cut all close burial grounds fortnightly (weather permitting). All pruning, hedge cutting, etc., is carried out as winter works after the grass cutting season has ended. However if you have any concerns please do not hesitate to contact the main office.
The council's arboricultural office keeps the trees under a 3 yearly review and agrees minor works with the volunteers. All major tree works are carried out by the council's tree specialists
Bereavement Services carries out a 5 year rolling programme of memorial testing to ensure that memorials are preserved as well as possible. The council does not have the right to restore memorials, but it does have the responsibility to make the cemetery a reasonably safe place to visit which enables it to lay down any memorials in danger of falling. Safety in cemeteries and churchyards has improved so much since such programmes were introduced, that now the main benefit from testing is to ensure that memorials are not left to rot until they fall smashing themselves, or neighbouring memorials, or both, in the process.
Despite not having a specific war graves section, the graves of seven victims of the 1914-1918 war:
Lance Corporal R P Dench 4431
Private W H Fry 2572
Lance Corporal G Ham PLY/3707
Private A H Lane 12132
Sapper J A E Osborne 504659
Private T A Parsons 27234
Private H A Webber TR7?9836
Private G Williams 16230
are under the care of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.