- There were 184,874 residents of Bath and North East Somerset in 2015, nearly 3,000 more than in 2014
- Bath & North East Somerset covers an area of approximately 135.2 square miles/ 350.5 square km. 1
- Bath and North East Somerset has a significantly higher proportion of residents (11%) aged 20-24 than nationally (6.6%), this can be attributed to the high student population.
Population density across B&NES has increased by nearly 8% over the last ten years from 495 people per sq. km in 2005 to 534 people per sq. km in 2015. 5
Using this data for small areas 6 it is also possible to derive local population density at a neighbourhood level. There is significant variation between areas in Bath and North East Somerset, ranging from a population density of 51 people per square Km in Corston to nearly 10,000 for Oldfield Park West in Bath.
GP Registered Population
There were 197,040 7 registed patients on the lists of GP surgeries in Bath and North East Somerset in June 2013. This is greater than the residential population as a result of the fact that residents do not have to register with GPs in their local authority area.
- 1. Laker M. Systems and GIS, Transport Developments (2016) Email correspondence, Bath and North East Somerset Council
- 2. ONS 2015 Mid Year Estimates
- 3. Laker M. Systems and GIS, Transport Developments (2016) Email correspondence, Bath and North East Somerset Council
- 4. Bath and North East Somerset Council (2015) A ten year plan for the management of flooding from local sources Bath & North East Somerset’s Local Flood Risk Management Strategy 2015 – 2025, http://www.bathnes.gov.uk/sites/default/files/sitedocuments/Environment/Countryside/lfrms_december_2015_web_sp.pdf
- 5. ONS MYE 2015, population estimates and density for the UK, mid 2001 to mid-2015
- 6. ONS Small Area Population Estimates Mid-year 2013 - http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/sape/small-area-population-estimates/mid-2013/rft---lsoa-formatted-table.zip Accessed November 2014
- 7. Bath and North East Somerset population denominator:
Health and Social Care Information Centre (2013) https://indicators.ic.nhs.uk/download/Clinical%20Commissioning%20Group%20Indicators/Data/GP_CCG_registered_patients_2012.xls(date accessed: 08/10/13)