Purpose of the review
The Local Government Boundary Commission for England (LGBCE) is conducting an electoral review of Bath and North East Somerset Council (B&NES).
The review has two aims, which are to identify:
- The correct number of councillors for the Council - The LGBCE have met and determined that this number should be 59.
- Where the boundaries should be set for this number. The consultation on the shape of these boundaries was open until 2 October 2017, consultation on the initial proposals is now open until 19 Feburary 2018.
The review does not cover the outline boundary of the authority. Neither will it change the outline boundaries of Parish Councils within B&NES. The review may, however, recommend changes to Parish Wards.
For more information about the LGBCE, including details of current review and how to get involved, please see https://www.lgbce.org.uk/current-reviews/south-west/somerset/bath-and-north-east-somerset
Role of the Local Authority
B&NES has a key role to play in supporting the review in providing information to the committee in support of the review. It made a representation as to the correct number of Councillors. It will not be making a formal submission as to ward boundaries.
Key supporting documents
The following are key documents we are publishing during the course of the review and will form part of the Council's submission;
Background Materials and Presentations (given by LGBCE on 20/02/2017 and 13/07/2017)
- BANES Electoral Review 2017 - briefing for full Council February 2017 (.docx)
- BANES Electoral Review 2017 - a guide for Councillors (.docx)
- Preparing a warding proposal - Electoral review briefing (.pptx)
Evidence collected by the Council for the preparation of its submission will be published in line with the Council's existing Open Data Policy to support other parties in the preparation of submissions to the LGBCE.
- Electorate baseline and Forecasting target data - please note all proposals must result in the same total provided in this file - (27/07/2017) (.xls)
Other background data:
- Electorate Forecasting - Final methodology and results, Ward, Parish and Polling District (V1.1) (27/07/2017) (.xls)
- Parish to Connecting Communities Forum alignment (April 2017) (.xls)
- Results and key findings of Elected Member questionnaire (April 2017) (.pdf)
- Summary of first evidence review - including dates of key governance changes and future considerations (20/03/2017) (.pdf)
- Registered electors by postcode (December 2016) (.xls)
- Ward to Parish alignment (December 2016) (.xls)
- Electoral Registration Statistics for wards, parishes and polling district (December 2016) (.xls)
- Ward registered electorate density (December 2016) (.xls)
- Elected members and date of first election (March 2016) (.xls)
- Polling District Maps (2015) - Hosted by Bath:Hacked open data community.
- Headline electorate statistics, including no. Councillors, size and ratios for B&NES and statistically similar local authorities (2015) (.xls)