The vast majority of products supplied to consumers are subject to safety regulations designed to protect consumers from death or injury.
All of the following items are covered by regulations:-
- Electrical goods, both new and second hand
- Gas appliances
- Cosmetic products
- Chemical products & pesticides
- Upholstered furniture
- Personal protective equipment
- Prams, pushchairs & nursery equipment
- Pedal cycles
- Plants (labelling of hazards re poisonous plants)
- Nickel products - particularly in jewellery
A host of other goods are also covered by regulations. Many of these regulations are directly or indirectly the result of European Union legislation and Trading Standards are responsible for their enforcement.
More information about product safety can be found on the Businesslink Website