If you keep cattle, sheep, pigs, goats or more than 50 poultry then you must, by law, register with the Rural Payments Agency (RPA).

You will be issued with a Holding Number, also known as a CPH number, in the form of 34/123/1234.

[The number relates to County (C) / Parish (P) / individual holding (H)]

This number will be required when completing movement records, movement documents and in official correspondence with Defra.

To register your holding for cattle, sheep, pigs and goats please contact:-

The Rural Payments Agency
Customer Service Centre
PO Box 1058
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE99 7YQ

Telephone: 0845 603 7777
Visit the Rural Payments Agency website

You will also need to contact the South West Animal Health Office:-

Gloucester Animal Health Office
Saw Mills End

Telephone: 01392 266373
Fax: 01452 627483
Nightline: 07000 780143

who will issue you a Herd Mark or Flock number, depending on the species of animals kept. There is no charge for these registrations.

To register your holding for flocks of 50 or more poultry please contact:-

Poultry Register
Curwen Road
CA95 1SS

Telephone: 0800 634 1112

Help us improve our website

We would like to improve our website navigation. Help us understand how people find our services.

Take part

Become a website tester

If you would like to be contacted by a member of our team to help us understand how people use our website please leave your details below.


To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.

Your rating: 

Your rating: None Average: 1.5 (2 votes)
To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.