The Council's contract from 2014 with Healthmatic Ltd will provide comprehensive cleaning and management services for fifteen years. It means that 15 public toilets in parks, play areas, green spaces and key transport hubs are remaining open and a brand new facility has been opened in Newbridge Park & Ride. The contract has now guaranteed the provision of high quality toilets for our residents and visitors for many years - something which we have never previously been able to do. That is in the context of very serious pressures on local government finance and this protected level of provision in Bath and North East Somerset is not something that many Councils can offer at the moment. Other facilities in Weston and Paulton remain open under other innovative management arrangements, with Larkhall and Batheaston to follow.
The new cubicles being installed by Healthmatic combine a number of improvement features:
- A high standard of cleanliness and safety and able to handle large numbers of people using them
- Large enough for a parent with a couple of small children and a pushchair to use together so parents and carers can keep a better eye on their children
- Built into the existing toilet buildings, disability compliant with safe sharps boxes
- Many more baby-changing facilities than there are now, accessible to male and female parents and carers
- High-tech controls means access can be 24 hours / 7 days a week all year or the timers can be adjusted remotely to suit local needs (see table below for location details)
- Access by coin entry to a private cubicle with its own hand-washing and drying facilities (as for the existing auto-loos in Bath and North East Somerset which have been operating successfully for 10 years)
- Resistant to vandalism and misuse with an easy clean tiled interior and hard-wearing fittings
- Removal of the male/female separate areas into unisex cubicles, access by coin entry, both deterrents to anti-social behaviours
- Problems are detected remotely enabling rapid response by Healthmatic's engineering and maintenance teams
From Monday 6th January 2014, the Council public toilets are being managed and cleaned by our contractor.
Click here for a list of the current council public toilets other facilities and updates since 2013.
Any problems should be reported direct to Healthmatic's 24 hour service on 01249 823143
To find the exact location of one of these public toilets, on our mapping system enter its name in the right hand link under 'Services in Your Area'.
Also, follow this link for Open Data - Public Toilets
Central Bath - click here for a map of publicly available toilets
The publicly available toilets by Waitrose are operated by: The Podium, Telephone: 01225 444678 or visit: http://www.bathpodium.co.uk/
The two sets of publicly available toilets in Southgate are operated by the Southgate Bath Management, Telephone: 01225 469061
|24 hrs a day 7 days a week||6am to 12am (midnight) 7 days a week||8am to 6pm Monday - Friday
8am to 1pm Saturday
|Open 15 minutes either side of the P&R services|
Seven Dials in Monmouth Street, Bath
Charlotte Street car park
|Odd Down Park & Ride
Newbridge Park & Ride
Parks / Play areas
|6am to 9pm 7 days a week (Evening closing time will change in the Autumn in line with daylight hours)|
Please note that the toilets require 20 pence per use.
All refurbished toilets will include a disability compliant cubicle, RADAR key access will not be available at those locations.
The future for publicly accessible toilets
A 'Provision Strategy for Public Toilets' was adopted at the Cabinet meeting (item 118) in December 2011. See under 'Related Documents' for a copy of the Strategy document.
A draft version had been considered by the Planning, Transport & Environment PDS panel on Tuesday 13th September. Follow this link to see the PDS papers.
This has led on from a Public Consultation carried out between November 2009 and February 2010 seeking views on where and how many toilets are required for residents and visitors, along with who should provide and management them and what they should be like. The consultation results and the recommendations from the Safer & Stronger Communities Overview & Scrutiny Panel can be provided on request.
Please use this form to report issues with the content of this page. If you wish to contact somebody about the service provided, please use the contact details found in the 'Contact Us' section of this page.
The information you have provided may be shared across Bath and North East Somerset Council for the purpose of dealing with your enquiry. We will not give information about you to anyone else, or use information about you for other purposes, unless your consent has been given or the law allows this.
The use of your personal information is covered by our registration under the Data Protection Act 1998. You can, under this legislation, request a copy of the information we hold about you. If any information we hold about you is incorrect please let us know.
Bath and North East Somerset Council is committed to upholding the principles of the Data Protection Act, and will not process your information in a way incompatible with these principles.
The Council’s Information Compliance Office can be contacted on (01225) 477000 or via email at email@example.com