Abandoned vehicles

To report an abandoned vehicle please go to our Report It online page.  Alternatively contact Council Connect councilconnect@bathnes.gov.uk 01225 39 40 41.  Please see our check list below to make sure it really is abandoned.

To check if a vehicle is abandoned

  • Is it taxed? Go to www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk to check  (untaxed cars may not necessarily be abandoned and cannot be removed).
  • Are there any signs that the vehicle has not moved for some time? (eg weeds under the vehicle, mould or rubbish inside the vehicle, missing or flat tyres/wheels, broken windows).
  • Is it on the public highway?

Is it on private land? If you are the landowner, check ownership of the vehicle before reporting it. Go to the following link at www.gov.uk

Vehicles are not classed as abandoned when they are badly parked, causing an obstruction, or broken down.  Caravans parked on the highway and cars involved in residential disputes are not classed as abandoned. Vehicles causing an obstruction can be reported to the Highways department via Council Connect (councilconnect@bathnes.gov.uk 01225 39 40 41).

Reporting an abandoned vehicle

Please let us know the following:

  • Your name and address
  • Registration number of the vehicle
  • Make, model and colour of vehicle
  • Any damage to the vehicle
  • Exact location of the vehicle (including postcode or a postcode for a nearby property)
  • How long the vehicle has been there without moving
  • Details of any known owner. If it’s on private land, contact the DVLA to request this information.
  • How to get rid of a car you own Make sure that whoever takes your car is registered as an Authorised Treatment Facility.  They can issue you with a certificate of destruction that ends your legal responsibility as the registered keeper of the vehicle. For more information please follow the link to www.gov.uk

Your rating: 

Your rating: None Average: 3.3 (4 votes)
To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.