Every skip that is placed on the highway must have a licence which is issued by the local Authority. If a skip is placed on private land it will not require a licence from the Council.
Only owners of a skip can apply for a licence so in most cases the licence is obtained by the skip hire company. A licence covers a 28 day period.
If you would like to apply for a skip licence please complete and return the skip licence application form .
If you are a member of the public looking to hire a skip you will need to contact a skip hire company. Whilst the skip hire company is responsible for obtaining the correct licence you should ensure that this has been done and that the licence covers the period of time you have hired the skip for.
The process for placing a skip on the public highway is as follows:
- Complete and return a skip licence application form
- Include a current copy of your public liability insurance cover, which must be for a minimum of £5 million
- The administration fee for a new 28 day licence is £50, a renewal licence is £40 and a licence applied for retrospectively costs £100
- You must include telephone contact details so that you can be contacted by phone in order that payment can be taken by credit or debit card
- On receipt of the completed application and the required payment a Highways Inspector will check the proposed location for the skip
- The licence is subsequently returned to the applicant, "permission granted" or "not granted" as appropriate
- The skip must not be placed (dropped) prior to the agreed placement date
- No skip can be placed on the public highway without written permission from this Council
This process can take up to 7 days so early application is advisable