You will need permission from the Council prior to placing a scaffold or hoarding on any highway maintained by this Authority. If the scaffold or hoarding is to be erected on privately owned land then no permission or licence is required.
It is the responsibility of the builder or scaffolding hire company to get a licence for any scaffolding/hoarding that is put up on the highway (this includes the footway).
Property Owner – You will need:
- To check that the scaffolding company/contractor has the appropriate permissions/licences and that these do not expire before the works are completed.
Scaffold/Building Company - You will need:
- Written permission from the Council
- Public Liability insurance cover with a £5million indemnity limit for both the Contractor and Scaffolder.
- The scaffold/building company requests a licence by contacting Council Connect on 01225 394041
- The scaffold/building company completes the licence application form. This is available as a Word file or PDF.
- The scaffold/building company returns the completed form to the address given on the form with:
- Payment of £67 administration fee per scaffold, £134 administration fee for any retrospective scaffold. (Please note that fees are non-refunadable and non-transferrable).
- Proof of current public liability insurance cover policy not less than £5 million indemnity limit.
- A site plan and details of scaffold/hoarding including dimensions.
- The scaffold/building company should ensure the Council receive the application at least 10 clear working days before the anticipated erection date.
- A Council Highways Inspector will check that the proposed location is suitable to place a scaffold/hoarding.
- If approved the Council will issue the appropriate licence to the applicant and a copy to the contractor. The scaffold/hoarding must not be erected before the licence is granted.
- Once the licence is issued the scaffold/hoarding can be placed on site at the agreed location and must abide by the conditions set by the Council.
This process can take up to 10 working days so early application is advisable